3. Celebrity Constellation
For a background, we are cruisers with over a dozen trips on Celebrity, NCL, Holland and Carnival, but mostly Celebrity. We booked this trip primarily for the itinerary since it was stopping at St. Barts, St. Croix and Labadee which we had not yet been to. Having had good experiences in the past, we chose the Aqua class cabins due to the nice touches in the cabin and the Blu restaurant. The Constellation is a 2002 ship that has recently been "Solsticized" with mixed results in my opinion. The changes are beautiful and some of the features from the Solstice class ships work nicely, others not so much. We arrived at the port around noon and were quickly processed and on the ship, all in all very efficient. Once on the ship, the cabins were not ready and were sealed off. In the past we have been able to drop off our bags before they finished the room, but not this time. We proceeded to the buffet for lunch and to wait until our room was available. The buffet in general was very hit or miss. If you like curry, they make pretty good versions. The other hot food options, I found to be less than stellar. The sandwich meat was poor quality. They carved roast beef, and pork and those were generally ok. The pizza is open late and generally ok for a snack. A popular feature is the ice cream and there is generally a line that moves quickly. You will see a lot of repetitive items from one day to the next but even worse from lunch to dinner. Compared to other Celebrity ships the buffet needs improvement. The Blu restaurant is a nice feature for the Aqua cabins with usually a premium dining experience. Not so much this time. For the firs time ever, we experience waiting times in excess of 20 -30 minutes to be seated that only were improved after we complained to guest relations. Once in the restaurant, we found service to be generally much slower, most likely due to the fact that the kitchen(galley) was 2 decks down. On the true Solstice ships it is adjacent to the dining room. The food however was generally good to very good and the staff tried their best from the hostess to the waiters and somelier. We had a balcony cabin on deck nine. When we were unpacking we noticed that the sheets were dirty. I have never experienced this before when first coming into a cabin. I called that steward and he apologized and blamed it on the the laundry. That is not an excuse since he made the bed and should have seen that the linens were dirty. My overall impression of our stewards was that they were not trained well in the servicing Aqua cabins and were not familiar with Captains Club benefits. For instance, when I asked him to have my shoes shined, it seemed that that was the first he ever heard of that and admitted that he had no experience shining shoes. I asked him not to do it since last year on the Reflection my cabin steward used black polish on brown shoes and ruined a pair of Bally shoes. Adding insult to injury, Celebrity did nothing to fix or reimburse the ruined shoes after multiple attempts. Also missing were small touches that we usually had on other ships like towel animals or chocolate on the pillow at bedtime. Celebrity markets themselves as modern luxury and making people feel special and have a superior experience. In our opinion, they fell quite a bit short of that goal on this trip. I guess we will stick with the Solstice class ships since we had better experiences before if we go on another Celebrity ship.

Disappointed with Constellation and their Aqua Class

Mititei’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Aqua Class Balcony
Cabin A2 9042
Balcony cabin on mid forward starboard side of the ship.Room was nicely furnished however, the bathroom seemed smaller than usual. Also, when we first arrived in the cabin we found that the bed was made but the sheets were dirty. The cabin steward blamed it on the laundry, however, he should have noticed it before putting it on the bed.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins