3. Celebrity Millennium
We have just returned from a South East Asia cruise on Celebrity Millennium. This was our 13th cruise, and the fourth one with Celebrity. The following is a review of our cruise. Background I am sixty-two years old, and my wife is a few years younger than me. We were travelling with another couple about the same age. The average age of people in the cruise was about the same age as us. There were also a good percentage of younger people, and some children. The cruise director said there were about five hundred passengers from U.S, three hundred from Canada, and the rest from all over the world. As it was an Asian cruise, a good percentage was of Asian descent. Cabin We had an interior cabin on the 2nd floor deck in the middle of the ship. The size was enough for 2 people, with plenty of storage space. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. I wore ear plugs every night, so I had no idea whether it was noisy or not. As mentioned in other reviews, there was sewage smell in the bathroom. But the smell seemed to have disappeared after few days. Food We selected first sitting at the Metropolitan Dining Room, and had a table for 8. The food in general was quite good, with only average for a couple of nights. I am not a picky eater, so I had no complain here. Both the waiter and assistant were excellent. The waiter went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed every dish. One night he asked my wife whether she enjoyed her fish entrée. My wife was hesitant as it wasn’t very good. He indicated he would bring her another entrée, and surely he brought her a different salmon dish which was on the menu every day. We had breakfast every day at the buffet. Unfortunately the menu remained the same every day, so it got a bit boring after a few days. We normally ate lunch in the dining room during sea days. It was quite good in general. Entertainment The production shows were quite entertaining. The other shows were in general pretty good – better than expected. The best one was two Russian athletes performing aerial show, and the female was a gold medal Olympian – surprising for a cruise show. There were always seats available in the theatre, as opposed to other cruise ships where you have to arrive half an hour early to get a decent seat. There were two house bands. One was good, but the other was not quite up to par. We went to the Cosmo lounge few nights after dinner. In addition to the usual karaoke, the production show singers and dancers also performed there several nights. Fitness Center The gym has mostly nice equipment. It was busy on morning of sea days, but the wait was never more than a few minutes. I tried to spend as much time as possible there to burn off the calories. I did not gain any weight after the cruise! Embarkation/Debarkation Easy and efficient. No complain here. Miscellaneous The weather in port days was good during the entire cruise, with the exception that the port day at Hue/Danang was cancelled due to rough sea. It was windy and raining in several of the sea days, so the open deck was empty. The ship charged US$20 for Vietnam visa, and was deducted automatically from the shipboard account. The ship was showing its age, with carpet stains in few locations. There were a few depressions along the corridor on the floor where our cabin was located, so you have to walk carefully to avoid tripping over. As it is not a new ship, do expect some wear and tear. Definitely not as grand as other ships I have been in. Some reviewers mentioned that the staff members did not show enthusiasm in their work. I found it to be opposite – most of them would greet you with a smile and hello. Final Thought In conclusion it was an enjoyable trip, and I would not hesitate to recommend Celebrity Millennium. Yes it is an older ship, and is showing its age. However, there are more positives than negatives. Take a deep breath and enjoy your vacation. Don’t let the little things ruin it! I have posted a few pictures at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128376939@N05/sets/72157649599398708/

Enjoyable SE Asia Cruise

Background
Food
Fitness Center
Embarkation/Debarkation
Easy and efficient. No complain here.
Miscellaneous