3. Carnival Liberty
Hi all, just done two weeks on Liberty around the East and West Caribbean. Good information to start the cruise from Carnival and the simple booking in system meant a minimum of delay on getting on board. We did two days in Cocoa Beach to help reduce the jetlag and found a wonderful place called, 'Fat Kahunas' which gave us one of the nicest meals we have ever tasted, so good, we booked for the day we came back from the cruise. Our cabin was spotless and our steward immaculate on both weeks, becoming almost a friend in their quest to assist. Son aged 14 enrolled into Circle C and we didn't see much of him apart from the trips and formal dinners - there seemed much for him to do. Probably had nothing to do with the teenage girls on the cruise either but hey ho. We ate in anytime dining and were extremely well looked after by the front of house team, their smiles brightened up the evening; we never bother where we sit as long as we can get food so putting us at a table wasn't too difficult. We had a bit of a wait one night when the battery failed in the bleeper and we received some lovely chocolates in the room by way of a not necessary apology. Praise Point: The staff are what makes this ship tick, they are simply outstanding and so hard working, a pleasure to be with them at this festive time. Development Point 1: Entertainment; we sailed on Liberty last year and the entertainment was nothing like what we found then. Fortunately, we are not drinkers nor massive on the entertainment side but we were slightly put out at the poor showing. We took a couple of excursions to the Mayan ruins on Cozumel which at St Gervaise were superb and Mike the guide, took us last year and was as outstanding on this years trip. Another asset to his culture and Carnival. We also did the trip on Roatan to the Marine biology centre which was brilliant, the rum cake 'factory' which was a shack near the lighthouse and I do not give my recommendation to a visit there as it seemed to be a quick take a small piece, decide and then buy. I prefer a laid back approach which wasn't abundant there. The Cameo visit was superb and an education, so laid back I did not realise that things were for sale there and had to ask - they were so lovely and dedicated to their craft, one of only two places in the world that does this work and well worth seeing. Development Point 2: The ship published details of armed robberies on this Island but when we asked the locals, they claimed that the robber had been severely dealt with and was in prison. Not sure how accurate or timely that advice was. The food on the ship was excellent and plentiful; I sent two dishes back, one an Eggs Benedict that had rock hard yolks (I was promised soft and runny!!) and no sauce apart from a yellow coating (I insisted I did not receive another!) and the second one was the mussels of which two were closed,,,,,,, not a good sign when mussels are closed. Other than that, the food was varied and as good as we can taste anywhere. Development Point 3: On Deck 6 where we were, there was a strong smell of faeces occasionally, I don't think it was someone with wind but it was very whiffy on more than one occasion. In addition, there was a noticeable list in the ship on its way back to Canaveral and vibration from what one Mariner on the cruise thought, a bent propeller. Either way, it could probably have been mentioned. Afternoon tea was another highlight on sea days and a chance to catch up, two Veterans meeting hours each week were really good, well supported and nice of Carnival to put on tea and coffee. Development Point 4: Someone insisted on putting coffee into the jugs and not washing them properly and the taste permeated each jug, as a result, I stopped ordering tea from room service and I took a cup at the Vets meeting and the taste of rancid coffee in the water was really strong and disgusting. As a retired military logistician, I think the people who do that ought to be made to drink it!! no point in mentioning it as the damage was done. The smell of smoke was creeping further than it should from the casino area, often being smelt on the promenade deck in the shops, I wonder if the extractors need a bit more ooommfff? Disembarkation was quite a simple process and was a pleasure until,,,,,,,,,,,,, we got ashore. Port Canaveral was a shambles. There were 5 ships in and a new terminal opening and no one from Carnival or the Port thought it a good idea to tell us. The taxi firm is literally only one company with limited cars and were overwhelmed so the lady wasn't ordering any taxis for anyone else other than her firm and strangers like us didn't know how to get to the hire car place. That is another story, National only sent one bus to our terminal and nearly two hours later, another had not appeared. We waited another 40 minutes for a taxi and went down to collect the car. A simple note to make sure that pickup was previously arranged would have prevented us spoiling our day and missing out on the trip to Kennedy Space Centre. A shambles and I probably wont be going back to Canaveral and couldn't recommend it I am afraid. Two hours and a bit to clear the port after disembarkation is not good. In summary, Liberty was fun, the crew amazing and did their best to make us welcome and share their Christmas away from their families with us. We have the usual lovely memories, it was an excellent place to be at this time; would we sail on her again? Almost certainly but we might even try a sister ship to compare but Carnival need to really address the entertainment side of things and up their game in that direction. We didn't go on a trip in Belize but I understand that some passengers were delayed by lack of tenders, it is probably little comfort to them that we waited for the rush to finish as suggested and walked onto a tender with no wait having breakfasted in slow time. It must have been quite serious as we got $50 per person as a shipboard 'sorry' from the skipper which was really nice but I am sorry to hear others were very inconvenienced. Cant wait until the next cruise with Carnival

Lovely Two Weeks on Liberty

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Jenks008

Jenks008’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 6415/6386
Spotless cabin; lovely uninterrupted view of the deep blue sea! private balcony which was expected and our stewards on both weeks were simply brilliant. We had a double bed and a single for our son, ample space and an ensuite facility helped make our trip.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins