3. Norwegian Sun
Our family has not been on a cruise in 28 years - that one was arranged by a family member. Positives - staterooms were more spacious than I expected, we had 2 inside staterooms on the 8th floor. Staff very friendly, always said hello or acknowledged you on the ship. Negatives - FOOD was the biggest disappointment. Lack of variety overall - seemed like lunch items were re-hash of whatever was left over from the day before - just in a different sauce or form. Every single dessert served was inedible except the German chocolate cake which was only served the afternoon of departure. Desserts looked and tasted like styrofoam, airy, tasteless. Prime rib at Garden Cafe first and last night was reasonably good. A few of the salads were nice.Just huge lack of variety - never saw a shrimp, crab or lobster anything. Most of the on deck meals were cancelled due to wind - which was really not a strong wind. the two they did have were some of the better food served. Only saw grapefruit one day, otherwise cantaloupe, pineapple and honeydew cut fruit ever. yogurt in large dish looked so gloppy I did not even want to try it at breakfast. Excursions we booked on our own and saved about 75% over NCL prices and from what we saw and heard we had much better excursions than those who booked through the ship. Two best were BZ Cave tubing - loved Melvin our guide, great day, lunch was enjoyable, but bring a snack because you only eat at the very end of the day. Other great day was at YaYa Beach Club - club was OK, but it was Carolyn from Undertoe SUP (stand up paddle boards) and Simmone from the Yoga studio who was helping Carolyn who made our day. These two women were amazing they made our day in Mahahual - Costa Maya port the best day of the cruise! Everything you would want - smart, funny, kind, gracious, helpful, friendly. We (especially my sons 24, 22 and 19) had a blast with their lesson and just hanging out with them during the day. No they are not young 20 somethings but have this appeal that crosses generations. Simonne did an impromptu yoga session with me that was a real WOW experience, not just poses, very emotional, healing and something I never experienced before.

Ok, but would not recommend.

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by fbusch

Negatives - FOOD was the biggest disappointment.
fbusch’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Inside
Cabin IE
Cabins much more spacious than I expected. Service twice a day. Everything was very clean. They put us in inappropriate staterooms - my husband and I got a king with an off wall berth to lower. My 3 adult children got 1 king bed. We switched rooms on our own when we found out.Two VERY small pools, not much bigger than the hot tubs. Ship small enough to get around very easily.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Belize City
    I had never driven an ATV before, this was a new addition (we did not do zip line) I'm pushing 60 and had fun. Probably not worth the extra $25 per person, one vehicle broke down 3 times, not much instruction on how to operate, but we all had fun with it.
    View All 2,339 Belize City Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belize City Cruise Port Review
  • Cave-Tubing
    Met right at port, easy to identify yellow polo shirts. Rode in nice, newer Toyota air-conditioned van. Maya our driver had a PhD. - Pot hole driver par excellence! Melvin (20) was a wealth of information the entire day. Can't say enough about this young man - he did it all. Took care of us, very safety conscious, funny, we could not have asked for a better guide. Do not use any other cave tubing company but BZ - they have the best tubes, best safety gear (helmets with lights) some tours had flimsy tubes you had to carry (we did not carry ours were at the site) and some had no headgear at all. You do not pay in advance - we did make email reservation so they would know to expect us, but said we could invite anyone else from the ship. Great value.
    View All 337 Cave-Tubing Reviews
  • Beach
    Visiting Simone at Costa Maya Yoga while in Mahahual for SUP with Carolyn at Undertoe SUP and Ya Ya Beach club was my best moment of our trip. I had an impromptu yoga session with Simone and it was truly an physical, spiritual and emotional experience I will never forget. This is not TV yoga or anything like a yoga class. Words can't describe how wonderful I felt the entire time and how at peace I was when I left Simone's studio - second floor with an amazing view of the beach. Mahahual is just a quick taxi ride from the port. this place is VERY SAFE - if you read otherwise don't believe it. The guy who owns the port doesn't want you to venture out of his shops. Do not miss this opportunity
  • Standup Paddleboard
    Carolyn from Undertoe Stand Up Paddleboarding made our Christmas Day. Mahahual is just a quick taxi ride from the port. this place is VERY SAFE - if you read otherwise don't believe it. The guy who owns the port doesn't want you to venture out of his shops. Undertoe operates out of the YaYa Beach Club - rents a space. My 3 adult sons and husband had a lesson and wonderful experience. Book and pay in advance online. We had such fun with Carolyn - especially my sons. Carolyn is caring, kind, just a wonderful person and business owner. We all felt an instant connection with her. It was a fairly busy day and she had some helpers who were outstanding as well. Do not miss this experience. Best day of our trip!
    View All 10 Standup Paddleboard Reviews
  • Beach
    Took taxi to Chen Rio - got prices from $200 at port we paid $60 on street for 5 to Chen Rio. Beach is way to rocky for swimming, very disappointing. Food at the one place to eat way too expensive we only had chips, guac and pico - all tasty, but we felt with $10 drinks and $4 beers it was a rip off. Driver came 30 minutes late to pick us up so we did not had time for the shopping we did want to do near the ship. Someone from another ship said go to Mr. Sanchos - so sad we did not do that.
  • Roatan
    Go outside taxi and excursion area and bargain for taxi - don't remember what we paid for 5 to the beach, but at least 80% less than our first quote.Must bring insect repellant. We did and had no problems. Others didn't and had red welts over their legs for several days from what people said were sand fleas.Our driver had an old van, broken handles, not great inside, but it got us there. Let me stop at an orphanage at no extra charge to drop off gifts on Christmas Eve - was going to charge $5 extra but changed his mind. It was right on the main road anyway and took 5 minutes or less.
    View All 2,888 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews