3. Celebrity Constellation
If Celebrity wants to maintain their reputation as the "high-end" of the mass-market cruise industry, they need to either retire or completely overhaul old ships like this. Embarkation was fine. However, for the first time in all my 7 cruises, the corridors leading to rooms were actually blocked by closed doors - so instead of some lucky people getting their room early, everyone had to wait. The service is the most surprising disappointment. Perhaps I've been spoiled in the past, but service on this ship was slow, reactive and not entirely bright. Our room steward was polite but had no personality and made no effort to say anything other than "good morning" and "good evening." Our wait staff in the main dining room was equally polite, but fairly useless. They tried to accommodate special requests for other people at our table, but perhaps due to a language barrier, constantly got things confused. The buffet is an absolute disaster. It's design is terrible! There are line-ups for the custom egg station and the fresh waffle station at breakfast, which is understandable, but the way the buffet is designed those line-ups block access to lots of other food. The food at the buffet was average. The hot and freshly prepared stuff (the things you had to line up for) was quite good, while everything else was usually edible though rarely worth talking about. The main dining room was fairly typical. The food was average. Steaks were inconsistent - some were delicious and cooked correctly, others were not. My pregnant wife (who cannot eat uncooked meat) ordered medium twice and got medium rare. After sending those back, she asked for medium-well and was given a well done steak. Some meals came cold. We had a frustrating time with a language barrier with our waiters "Do you want more bread?" "No thanks." "Here have another basket of bread!" The overall layout of the ship was confusing although typical for older ships. Some areas required you to take different elevators to reach and we had to make more than one long detour due to the ship maps not marking areas as unpassable. Our cabin was an oversized oceanview located right at the front corner of the ship with a front-facing view. It was less expensive and MUCH larger than the veranda rooms we usually take. However, there were random banging noises coming from outside intermittently throughout the day. Sounded like construction. Not sure why they are doing construction with guests on board. We spoke to other people, and overheard the conversations of others, that noted that they were promised certain things when booking (like a free dinner at the premium restaurants, or an on-board credit) that was not there when they arrived nor did anyone from Celebrity believe them, despite having made the booking directly with Celebrity. (I can't comment on disembarkation because I'm still on the ship, bored on a rainy last-day) Overall I would NEVER cruise this ship again. The poor service makes me think Celebrity puts their better employees on their newer ships. I might consider Celebrity in the future, but after this relatively poor experience my wife has declared that we won't be cruising again for a long time! Despite the lower quality of food, we had a MUCH better time on Royal Caribbean when we went this summer. We always considered Celebrity to be a better fit when it was just the two of us, but after this I think we will consider other lines.

Disappointed with Celebrity