3. MSC Divina
About Us: Canadian couple, mid-60’s, smart, active. Enjoy people, culture, history, food, dance, entertainment. Priority: comfort at reasonable cost. Experience: Cruising: Avalon(2), Carnival, Celebrity, MSC(2), Princess. Vacationing: Caribbean, China, France, Mediterranean, Mexico, Panama Canal, Rhine-Danube. I was second time surprisingly happy with this MSC ship and cruise. The best of the trip were: entertainment (we enjoy music, opera, acrobats), people (whom we enjoy getting to know), dancing. I reiterate the elevated quality of shows, singing, acrobats and elegance of the theatre. The performers and acrobats are of European concert superiority. You would pay a quantum to normally attend a performance of this excellence, and here you have it every evening of your trip. The worst: Not worth mentioning. I find it normal and fascinating that many reviewers express different views and experiences. First, advice: Regarding shore excursions: If you are comfortable with trusting an onshore guide service, if you just walk out of the port, you will find these lined up waiting for you, offering a reduced cost. Yes, you will need to take some initiative and some exploring. Advice: Regarding our inside cabin, it is a model of ergonomic design, and it’s a lot cheaper. Space for all your stuff if you choose to stow; but clutter inevitably develops as you ignore cleaning up, because soon it’ll be time to shovel all your stuff into the suitcase. Do we need a window to sleep? no; happy to save the couple of hundred, and spend it on the next cabin sans window. It’s not for many people, just us. Advice: Art Auction. Nah, not for me! But wait, take a look, get away from the deck crowd, have some free champagne, socialize, listen. The auctioneer has interesting stories about history and culture. Get out of the sun for an hour and do something different. Did I say buy? You can read all about mainstream issues in other reviews. I’m going to discuss “my” stuff. I like examining the design of the ship. Cruising is a mainline business and new ships are built to perfection. All details are meant to impress. The recent paradigm is to provide premium services for a fee, and not surprisingly, many customers pay. We took the interesting onboard tour (fee!) and were guided to the staff areas of the ship, backstage, the kitchen and fridge, and a tour of the premium customer areas (not the bridge or engine). Quit complaining, ask questions, and get answers. My wife and I really enjoy dancing, and consequently, meeting people. But this new ship’s design is “seat priority”: makes sense, since 99% of cruisers, if they show up at all in the lounge, are going to sit and watch and listen. For dancers, the design made just a small concession in front of the performers or widened the pedestrian walkway slightly to do a soft shoe. We make do, and it’s OK. May I editorialize? Puzzles me, most people cruise to sit, drink, eat, smoke; a few (us) enjoy action and entertainment. Desire to sit around and tan? You can do that at home! If you’re a smoker, maybe you can’t smoke at home, ok, on ship, it’s pretty easy; stick to the port side of the deck. Finally, about relaxing on ship. Get with the program! Don’t waste time in line to complain! Delight in your time away from routine and appreciate the journey. On this “European” ship, many people are not English speaking: smile, say “bonjour, guten tag”, be friendly and polite. Do I have to tell you how to have good time. Puhleese.

Exceeded Expectations: New Entrant, Bargain Price, Lots of Active Fun