3. Splendour of the Seas
First off, this was not only our first time cruising with Royal Caribbean, it was our first time cruising full-stop - so I have to be careful not to mix up my perceptions of cruising as a whole, with my opinions of this particular ship. My husband and I are both in our early thirties and not many of our friends or family have cruised so neither of us were entirely sure what to expect – but both being ocean lovers we were sure we would take to life at sea – and we were right. From embarkation right through to disembarking, the service and organisation on board was beyond efficient, professional and reassuring. Everybody seemed to know exactly what they were doing and did it with a smile. Our cabin attendant was cheerful and chatty, whilst our waiter was such a genuine and friendly chap that we swapped email addresses and remained in touch long after the holiday. Our cabin was an E2 grade balcony. Although our first impression was that it looked very small, actually there was plenty of space for everything and we would happily book the same grade again. The balcony was a good size – just a shame about the smoke drifting over from the balcony next door. The evening entertainment and activities weren’t really for us, although we did take in the caberet show, feeling that we should experience at least something. The performers were talented but it was a little too ‘Butlins’ for us, and napkin folding and line dancing hasn’t really ever been our thing – but each to their own, and if you don’t want to join in there is always somewhere else to go. The food was fabulous with a capital F. Every meal we ate in the main dining room was of the most outstanding quality, and the breakfasts and lunches that we took in the Windjammer restaurant were obviously more modest in presentation but of no lesser quality. I don’t normally have an enormous appetite but by the end of the cruise I could barely do up the zip on my formal dress. Whoops! We took the complimentary kitchen tour and it was remarkable to see quite how many people contribute to get those mouth-watering dishes to the tables and made us appreciate the food even more. We loved the outdoor movie screen – watching The Wizard of Oz out in the middle of the ocean was magical – and would have liked a few more ‘old’ movies rather than the kids films that were generally shown, but we understand that the ship needs to cater for families. Overall we had a great time and although we are now ready to try different cruise lines to find the one that suits us best, we wouldn’t rule out cruising with Royal Caribbean again – particularly if we have a family in the future.

First Ever Cruise