3. Norwegian Getaway
What an amazing ship and great week! We sailed in mid-December. Embarkation: It was efficient. We have gold status and had no waiting time to check in, but then waited in holding. We arrived at 10:45 and were given group 4 by a guy at the top of the escalator after check in. Group 4 boarded around 11:35. I wish they didn't just rely on a guy walking around saying numbers. He didn't have a paddle or anything, like we've experienced in the past. Service: TOP notch. I had one small issue in the dining room and it was taken care of by the manager with appropriate kindness and humor. Room steward was attentive, bartenders were amazing, and waitstaff were the best we've experienced in a few years on NCL. Spaces: Wow! The ship was amazing. TONS of space to sit and lounge in lovely wicker furniture outside, Beautiful, classy, but exciting decor. As many have noted, the casino location makes a few atrium areas a little smoky, but we are both a little sensitive to smoke and it wasn't TERRIBLE. Spice H20 was cool-we spent a lot of daytime there. Hot tubs were often full, but loungers weren't. Loved that it was adult-only during the day. Personally, we didn't feel the need for Vibe passes. I can imagine if it was a super full sailing, or you required a lot of hot tub time, it would be worth it to buy Vibe passes. Our favorite bar was the outdoor Sugarcane mojito bar. Go see the Chocolate Cowboy! We also loved the placement of O'Sheehans, where you could overlook the big screen or entertainment in the atrium. Activities: We aren't big activity joiners, so were content to lounge and read most days, but we also took in lots of Howl at the Moon, a night at the Grammy experience, and a Levity Comedy show. They were GREAT. I prefer the smaller Levity shows to the bit theater comedy shows on past sailings. We loved having Groove International in the atrium a few nights. It was loud, upbeat and fun....not usual for nights in the atrium on NCL! Other night activities in the atrium featured piano music and movies. We didn't like the piano player very much, but he seemed popular to sit and watch. The ropes course was AWESOME! I waited until mid-morning of the Nassau day and got on right away. The pool area was cool, and there were plenty of loungers on the two levels. I like that there were a lot of "shallow" pool areas where you could put a chair in and just soak your feet. Food: We finally tried Le Bistro and it was great. The mushroom soup was as good as Cruise Critic led us to believe! The filet and duck breast were also very good. We also tried The Raw Bar (at Ocean Blue) and it was a fun experience. The cocktails are unique to that restaurant, and the dishes were impeccably prepared (I recommend the black bass ceviche). For the (included) main dining rooms, we liked the more formal Tropicana Room the best. Staff was top notch and the music and dancing was a nice touch. I felt like the serving sizes and quality of food was some of the best we've had on NCL. Not every dish was perfect, but we were satisfied. I recommend trying Flamingo Grill for lunch-it was superb, quick buffet style. Tons of flavor (which isn't easy to find on cruise ships). Breakfast there was disappointing, though less hectic than the buffet. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was adequate, but slightly chaotic. The buffet manager liked to have staff do a conga line when it was crowded, which was super annoying (IMO). O'Sheehans had nightly specials throughout the cruise. Prime Rib two nights (it was a generous serving...more so than when it used to be in the MDR), chicken and waffles once, and spare ribs two nights. A good idea by NCL and it was executed well. We didn't love breakfast in O'Sheehans. A super-limited menu (eggs & sides, omelet, french toast, corned beef hash, assorted pastries), but much less chaos than the buffet. We had gelato and Carlos's cupcakes. Meh. The gelato wasn't great. The cupcake was good, but it's stored in a cold case, which ruins it for me. Other: The casino slots treated us ok. We aren't big gamblers and walked away about $150 up. We were SUPER excited to see craft beer on tap! Wynwood Brewing out of Miami had a featured tap in O'Sheehans and the Flamingo Grill bar. Pitcher prices were great ($13ish plus auto-gratuity). Disembarkation: There was an ambulance visit around 9:30 that slowed things down. The luggage was in two separate areas, which was weird. We wandered for around ten minutes until we asked and were shown to another area where our yellow tagged luggage was located. Apparently if you come down on a certain escalator, you miss it. I cannot wait to sail the Getaway again. The Maimi theme was awesome and the staff were great. We didn't have VIP status, but were treated like a million bucks. Tip: On the first day, go to guest services to sign up for "Dinner with an Officer." It's listed in your Day 1 daily. The dining day is Wednesday at 6 pm, if I recall, so make sure you have flexible plans in case your name is chosen. You don't find out until Monday if you are chosen.

Successful Getaway!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by weltek

• Sail Date: December 2014
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Balcony Stateroom
What an amazing ship and great week! We sailed in mid-December.

weltek’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Large Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B6 9714
I knew from reading Cruise Critic that having the bed by the closet (and not the balcony door) would be tight. It was. I mostly used the drawers under the couch to keep us in separate dressing areas during the day. Otherwise, the room was great. Ample room inside, a comfy bed, a good sized sink and shower, and the large balcony category was great. In this room, the bridge hangs right over the room (up higher, of course), and there is a glass floor. We never saw anyone, but it was kind of funny knowing they could look down at any time upon us. Honestly, though, I didn't feel like we needed a balcony on the Getaway. There were a lot of little nooks to sit comfortably. Though breakfast on the balcony was nice on port days!
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins