3. Royal Princess
My wife and I (We are in our early 60s) needed time away from our jobs, so I was tasked to find a cruise. Being on Princess last minute cruise newsletter, I found this repositioning cruise. The ship was our destination since we have visited the ports before. Our first experience with Princess was on the Crown Princess which we both enjoyed 4 years earlier. Embarkation: First time using Brooklyn Red Hook port. Amtrak to Penn Station, then a taxi to the port was our plan. At 1230 hours, a long line of taxis, cars and coaches met us at the port (which I expected from previous reviews). Once inside the terminal, a bit of confusion about filling out health forms, then joining the masses. Once a line was formed, it was time for security check, then short wait for check-in clerk. It took less than 45 minutes to get on the ship, past the photographer and finding our room on Aloha deck, aft. The Royal Princess was the newest ship we ever sailed on. True to form, very clean and bright public areas. Since our cabin was in the stern, we got used to walking the long hallways but to our advantage, the aft elevators were very convenient to reach the buffet area. Dining rooms and atrium meant a walk to midship and then waiting for the elevator. Atrium was nice but seemed noisy and once on the bottom floor, crowded especially for formal nights. Dining: We had the anytime dining option. We were lucky to be seated at a table where we felt the chief waiter and his assistant were excellent. We made a point to request his table (didn't need to reserve, just showed up at approximately same time each night - early). Food quality was fine for us. Breakfasts and lunches usually in Horizon Court which were good to very good. I liked the omelet station setup: you make your selection at the designated place, you receive a numbered chit, and find your table. Present the chit to your section waiter and he recovers the order for you. We made one visit to Sabatini's which was fine. Visit to the pizza sit-down area was very good. When we had the opportunities, we ate at the Pub Lunch. Overall, the dining options were very good to excellent. Entertainment: We didn't witness any of the main theater shows. I don't think we missed much: the size of the main showroom, and the short duration shows didn't interest us. The string quartet on board reminded me of Holland America's Adiago group. Ports: We been there, done that. We remained on board the ship and enjoyed the quiet. I was surprised that Princess' private island was not included. On-board activities: the usual trivia contests, art auctions, casino.... There were some lectures but the Patter didn't seem to advertise them, even the public announcements were quiet about the lectures. We were on the roll call and attended the main gathering. Disembarkation: We had transfers to the airport thru Princess and given instructions to meet in a dining room to wait for our group to be called. Found our luggage, past customs and found our bus. Overall impressions: The Royal Princess was very good experience despite the shortcomings already described by other reviewers. Would we cruise on her or her sister Regal, again? I don't think so.

Laid back time for our second Princess cruise.

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Protseq

We were on the roll call and attended the main gathering.
Protseq’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin ID A725
Our preference cabin category. Nice appointments, Wall mounted HD set (which sometimes lost its network connection), on demand movies, refrigerator, enough storage for two guests. Wish it had an extra chair.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins