3. Celebrity Equinox
My husband and I are in our 50's and this was our 6th cruise, 2nd with Celebrity. We've done 2 cruises with Princess and 2 with Carnival. Unlike many others, we are not loyal to a particular cruise line, the line we choose is dependant upon the type of cruise we're looking for at the time.....family cruise, romantic getaway, etc. Itinerary and price dictate our choice for the most part. It was just my husband and myself this time and I have to say this cruise was incredibly relaxing and enjoyable. A perfect combination of sea days and port days giving us lots to do as well as time to relax. Precruise - Embassy Suites, Fort Lauderdale. We had an upgraded room on the top floor with a view (distant) of the port. The room was enormous, extremely comfortable bed and the included breakfast the next morning was excellent. The free drinks and snacks at the manager's reception was much appreciated! Quick ride to the port in the morning (included in the hotel cruise package) and we were ready to cruise! Embarkation - the most organized embarkation we have experienced thus far. We arrived at 10:30 and were on the ship by 11:15. We were Concierge Class but all lines seemed to be moving well. Cabin - 2106 on the hump. Absolutely LOVED the location. 30 sec walk to the pools (and pool bar....nice) and the buffet. No noise whatsoever. Food - We had select dining and chose to eat in the MDR most nights. Service was good, however the sommeliers table assignments were changed after the 2nd night and we were forgotten one night and had to bring it to their attention. We ate in Murano one night and although the quality of the food was excellent, it was just too rich for my taste. My husband enjoyed his meal very much. We had the Chateaubriand for two and the dessert sampler. We had the premium drink package and were overcharged for our wine but had it corrected the next day. Silk Harvest was just ok but the service was probably some of the best we had on the ship. The waiter went out of his way to make sure we were happy. Tuscan Grille was my favourite! We both had the filet mignon and it was delicious. The creme brûlée has a layer of chocolate on the bottom and chocolate swirled on top which my husband liked but I prefer the traditional version myself. Buffet was good, I always found something I liked but breakfast got a little repetitive after 3 or 4 days. I really enjoyed the freshly squeezed orange juice and latte every morning though! We both enjoyed hitting the mast grill for a burger and beer after returning from a shore excursion. Mmmmm. We ordered room service twice for breakfast and it was delivered right on time and hot. Appreciated the call before it arrived and call afterwards to make sure everything was ok. Bars We both had the premium package and agreed it was worth it since we preferred the wines available with this package. Martini bar - entertaining bartenders and STRONG drinks. Enjoyed my white cosmos and dirty martinis. Always crowded but lots of seating in the areas around the bar. Pool bar - handy for bringing drinks back to enjoy on the balcony. We also liked sitting at the tabletop bar by the pools when the band was playing. Ensemble lounge - Dark, dreary and boring in my humble opinion but there always seemed to be lots of people in there so to each his own. Sunset bar - not the party bar it was on the Reflection but still fun and not nearly as busy Molecular bar - Entertaining but one drink a day is my limit there. Very filling. Tanned Russian was my drink of choice. Entertainment We only went to 2 shows in the theatre and were not overly impressed. Not horrible but not great either. I would also give the live band on the ship the same grade, mostly due to the poor mixing of their sound. Vocals were turned way down and guitar was loud. Acoustic guitar player Michael was awesome but his music was a little melancholy. Not really what you want to hear when you're on vacation. Many of Celebrity's passengers are baby boomers. Why they play club music around the pool is beyond me. It doesn't appeal to most baby boomers or older generations. The glass blowing show was incredible! We both really enjoyed learning about the process and seeing these talented people create some beautiful pieces. I won't review the ports in detail but the itinerary was what drew us to this cruise and it did not disappoint. The ferry trip through the Panama Canal was the highlight of the trip and an experience we will never forget. We did the luggage valet service for $20 each and it was well worth it. We walked off with our carry ons at 8am and didn't have to worry about our luggage til we picked it up at our home airport. And Celebrity takes care of printing your boarding passes as well. FYI, our airline was not listed as one participating in the program but we had used it before so we inquired. They said it would work but they just hadn't included it. It pays to ask. I truly believe attitude goes a long way towards your enjoyment of a cruise. I overheard people complaining about the weather, the fact someone cut in front of them in line, etc. We enjoyed every day and had a fantastic holiday and we're looking forward to our Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection in September.

Perfect Combination of Relaxation and Excursions

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by doberwoman

Bars

doberwoman’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2 2106
Excellent location. No noise. Not a particularly sunny balcony because of the overhang but very large.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins