3. Carnival Triumph
Embarkation: Our embarkation was delayed due to heavy fog. Carnival sent emails and text messages with updates and we were told they would start boarding at 3 p.m. We arrived at our parking location, Discount Cruise Parking (booked online for $19 for the whole 5 days) at about 1:45. We arrived at the cruise terminal a little after 2 and we stood in line a long time. Wish we had waited till 3 p.m. to arrive. Once we completed check in and had our sail and sign cards, we went directly on to the ship and lunch was being served on Lido Deck. We had cabin 9273. I don't recommend it. We had 2 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 13. The room was dated with some rust in the bathroom, and with the full length sofa made into a bed all of the time it felt cramped. Although the location was really convenient to all the fun, we were right by the forward elevators off the lido deck and people at the elevators could be really loud late at night. I'm just letting you know, because all of that was not really important to us and it didn't damper our vacation at all. One thing did have a bit of impact, the first night someone in a cabin above us was sick and it sprayed back onto our balcony. I had ordered coffee and Danish early morning to enjoy having on the balcony. So much for that idea. I reported it to our cabin steward but did not tell anyone else. They cleaned most of it that day, but when attempting to sit out on the balcony again we spotted several spots still on the deck. By Tuesday afternoon, the fourth day of our 5 day cruise, we were able to enjoy our balcony. It was a bummer because it was the first time I have stayed in a balcony cabin. I think I'll stick to inside from now on. Just a note, if you book early saver with Carnival and they offer you an upgrade, don't take it. I took an upgrade to a balcony and soon after the price dropped quite a bit on a 35 hour sale. I would have gotten the balcony upgrade for a lot less or an on board credit, but because I had taken the previously offered upgrade my early saver was no longer good. I spent more than necessary for the balcony. I won't do that again. If you book early saver just watch the price and grab the upgrade or onboard credit just before your cruise if applicable. No compensation was offered at all by Carnival for the price drop or the loss of 3 days of my balcony. Now on to the good stuff (enough complaining, already.) What's on Deck: The boys loved the basketball and ping pong, but their favorite was the Twister Slide. They even got old MawMaw here to give it a try. I was told later that they all had a good laugh at me screaming as I went around the twists of the slide. We only played mini golf once, not that great, but pretty cool to play golf on a ship :) My daughter and I enjoyed the hot tub, but found the pools to be too cold for us. My grandson won the prized Ship on a Stick for the bean bag throw and later his mom won one, also for the bean bag throw. There was almost always a DJ or videos on the Seaside Theater playing while we laid out on the Lido Deck. We never had much trouble finding a couple of chairs if you just go up one or two levels. They showed movies at night on the Lido Deck but we never made it to one of them. Entertainment: We really enjoyed the Punchliner comedian's family show. The boys thought they were awesome. We never watched the adult show but I'm sure they were very funny. We didn't make it to the first singing/dance show but we watched the second on the last night. It was a bit slow at first but picked up later in the show. The female singer was really good. We all enjoyed the magic show a lot. On this cruise they had Christmas Carols and Snow (it was sort of like snow and sprayed out of machines)in the atrium one day and a visit from Santa on another day. I wish there had been a place to sit and enjoy a band, but the only area we found them playing was in the Casino Bar as we walked down the Promenade. There was just too much smoke to be able to linger and listen. As I said earlier, there was music on the lido deck almost all the time. The DJ was entertaining and most of the videos were okay. I only found one video to be seriously not suitable for families and there were a lot of kids on this cruise. I miss the bands that use to play on the Lido Deck for sail away and parties. Food: OMG, I gained 4 pounds in 5 days. The pizzeria is at the back of the ship and is awesome. Guys Burger Joint was fresh and delicious, my oldest grandson is a burrito fanatic and he loved The Blue Iguana. Those two places are very convenient, outside by the pool. The ice cream machines were all working great and the ice cream was enjoyed often by my grandsons. I enjoyed Chopsticks (a variety of Asian dishes) and the deli. The buffet was good, but we didn't eat it much. We enjoyed the other places too much. We had anytime dining. We found the food to be very good. The boys tried Lobster for the first time and ended up getting seconds. I think the kids had the chocolate melting cake for dessert every night. There was plenty of variety and you could be adventurous or choose old favorites. We tried the Seaday Brunch which is included. Definitely go! We had filet mignon and eggs...what? Service: Our cabin steward was very nice and polite. We had a towel animal every night. I would give him 5 stars except I had to ask for ice more than once and it took two days to get our balcony completely clean. I don't blame him because I know how hard these guys work. I gave him an extra tip....they deserve it. We had the best waitstaff ever in The London Dining Room. If you have kids traveling with you, ask for Spitz. He and his team, I Made and I Putu, went the extra mile every night we were lucky enough to get them. They are simply wonderful and this was Anytime Dining deck 3. I can't remember her name but the bar tender in Alchemy was outstanding. Splurge a little and do the martini tasting class. So worth it. The bar staff on the Lido Deck were great. They came around often, were not intrusive and got your drinks to you quick. Be prepared to pay though. Drink specials were $7.95 and that didn't include tip or a souvenir glass. All in all, we very much enjoyed our cruise. I would not hesitate to book another one. My husband and I always go on 7 day cruises, but I think the 5 day cruise was great, especially with kids.

Fun with the Grandkids

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by clip1957

Now on to the good stuff (enough complaining, already.)

clip1957’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E
Not recommended - noisy and cramped for 4 people.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Cozumel
    I always love Cozumel. You are corralled through the terminal so that you go buy all the terminal vendors. We made our way through the terminal and walked all the way back to the taxis. If you go to the right at the end of the upstairs walkway and take the stairs down the taxis are right there. We left the ship after a nice breakfast in the dining room around 9:15. On the way the boys wanted to stop and watch an artist using spray paint and we took a picture with one of the human statues. Vendors are hawking outside of the stores but we just give them a polite "no thank you" and they aren't that pushy. We chose to go on our own and took a taxi to Chankanaab National Park. The taxi there was $12 for 4 people, the taxi back was $14...go figure. Our driver was Pancho and he let us practice our Spanish with him...he was chuckling quite a bit. Dolphin Discovery is at the park. I had purchased tickets online in advance for the Manatee Experience. Depending on how much in advance you purchase you will get a discount. I got a 10% discount and the regular price was $59 pp. It was truly awesome and we were up close to the dolphins as well. There were a lot of photos being taken but we didn't look at any of them to purchase. After the Manatees, we went to the beach. The price of the Manatee experience included all the park had to offer. The swimming pool with a swim up bar, the walk in beach swimming area which is great if you have small children, the main beach which has great snorkeling (you have to walk down steps to get into the water, because the beach sits atop coral reef.) We had our own snorkel gear but they rent it on the beach if you need it. It's a beautiful beach with plenty of chairs and palapas. The bar staff will come out and serve drinks or food, so you don't have to get up. It also includes the sea lion show and the gardens which include a replica of a Mayan village (there is a lady there who makes tortillas), replicas of Mayan statues and a waterfall. There is also a beautiful saltwater lagoon. They have a zipline and a tequila tasting but we didn't partake so I can't comment on those. The weather was warm and beautiful and we did as much as we could before heading back to the cruise terminal about 2:30. We didn't have anything to eat at the park except they boys got some pringles at the swim up bar. We were famished when we got back to the ship and that had to be the best burger I ever ate :).
    View All 6,703 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Progreso
    Progreso was an interesting port. I think it is a great port to go on an excursion to the Mayan Ruins, or a bus over to Merida, but the boys weren't interested in a long bus ride.We chose to go on our own in this port as well. If you do this, get off the ship early. When we left about 9 a.m. to go into town there was no line for the buses. When we returned about 11:30 the line for the bus to town was very, very long. The only way to get into town is to take the free shuttle bus provided by the cruise line. The pier is about 5 miles long. Before boarding the bus, we looked around the cruise terminal stores a little bit. When you get off the bus there are a lot of stores right there and the vendors are a little pushy but not too bad. We walked to our right after exiting the bus and then took another right when exiting the bus terminal and walked down to the street. Someone was selling excursions there and we said we were looking for the double decker bus tour. He sold us tickets for $5 pp. and told us where to go, which just happened to be all the way back the other direction. If you want to do the double decker bus, be sure when you get off the bus, turn right and when you exit the bus terminal, turn left. The bus was waiting on the street not far out of the terminal. We enjoyed the double decker bus tour. We sat up top and all the way to the front. We laughed while we dodged a few palm trees and ducked for several electrical lines. Our driver was Louis and he took us all around town and down the beach road. We heard about the history of the town and stopped outside restaurants and markets to learn about them. You would be surprised by how many little bars give free tequila shots. My grandsons got to see a bit of what the driver called real Mexico. The town is poor but vibrant. We saw school children outside in the school playgrounds and they all waved and shouted to us. While driving down the beach road we noticed the water was brown, with lots of grass on the beach and there was an odd smell. Turns out there had been a storm the night before which stirred up the water and the grass. I think the smell was the seaweed. We returned to the same spot we started from and gave our driver a nice tip. He works for tips only.We decided to walk about a block up from the bus and across the street to check out the local market. It was an eye opener. There was a large meat market with meat hanging from hooks, not in refrigerated cases...the chickens also. Customers could touch and smell the meat. In the middle aisle there were tables with locals eating food purchased from the many vendors up and down the aisle. The food smelled amazing. As we turned the corner outside the market there was a produce stand. The produce was abundant but it was not the perfect unblemished fruit that we usually see in our markets. I noticed that there were many expats at the market. That might be because, as our driver on the bus tour told us, houses near the beach rent for $300 per month. On the way back to the bus terminal, a man was holding an Iguana and he let the boys take turns holding it for as long as they wanted. He was also working for tips and we gave him a few dollars. He was very nice.Although we had planned to go back into town after lunch and spend time at the beach, we decided to just enjoy the ship instead. There were quite a few people who chose to do the same thing. I'm glad we chose to go into town on our own and check it out. I do recommend the double decker bus tour if you just want to get the feel of the town and see how to get around. I did hear from one lady that she enjoyed Carnival's all inclusive beach day. She said the beach there was nice. I did also hear that if you choose to go to the beach on your own, that you should check with the restaurant/bar to see if there is a minimum you have to spend in order to use their facilities...beach chairs, bathrooms, etc. Not all of them will tell you up front and then you are hit with a big bill you weren't expecting. Autoprogeso operates the buses shuttling you back and forth from the ship and they will offer tours as well while you enjoy the ride down the pier.
    View All 461 Progreso Cruise Port Reviews