3. Statendam
The Statendam has only 2 more cruises before it is heading to its new owners who hopefully will re-do the entire ship, but somehow be able to keep the beautiful teak decks. There is much character for this ship, but the older things like 3 story fountains no longer work. There are places where buckets must catch the water that comes from somewhere. For now it is paint and patch. The crew works hard at holding it together. There are creaks and groans from the walls, and odd noises, but we adjusted. If you need quiet at night to sleep, bring a white noise machine. The following are things that you should bring along no matter what room you are booking. • Extra water bottles (for going off shore) with a carrying belt or something. We also had one camelback water holder which worked quite well for long days. • Frebrez 2oz+ spray for ordor. The ship has quite a musty smell but you quickly get use to it. Using the Frebrez in the bathroom helps. • A multi electrical outlet plug. Since there is only one outlet, and many things to charge. (Remember the size of your chargers so check if they will fit side by side in the actual outlets.) You probably won’t need to charge everything all at once. • A makeup mirror (the one they have has long since be able to give off any amount of light, although it came on.) I had both a small mirror and a portable lighted one that I kept under the sink. • Extra hangers, plastic work well for hanging wet things and just for extra hangers in the closet. • Plug in electric clock. Ours was small, and easy to set, since there were many time changes this proved handy. Also had a alarm for early outing days, or naps so you wouldn’t miss dinner. It would be nice to have a nightlight in the bath room. You can leave your drapes cracked open and light comes from under the door to the hall, but the bathroom itself is dark. A small battery powered light would work well, like one of those stick on kinds they sell and you push the center for a circle of LED's. • I brought handwashing soap. The laundries have the soap included if you want to use it. Also an iron and board for touchups in the laundry. Bring quarters, or get change at the desk. • I also brought a small portable fan- about 10 inches square (fold up stand) and extra batteries. We did not need it, but there were other cabins whose air conditioning did not work. The internet was satellite. It did not work well. Probably still best to buy a package and learn how to download quickly, compose off line, then go back on line to upload your email. I would not even try to send photos, although I was able to receive one. Many people said it took a VERY long time to upload. You also have to watch the time of day you use the internet. Late evenings and early mornings seem to work best, or days when many people are ashore on outings. iPhones and iPads, especially older ones, did not work well and kept dropping the signal. I did not try my Samsung android phone, but it seem to work better than iphones at different internet (wifi) restaurants others tried. Often these places were satellite and not very good, especially after leaving Mexico and heading south. Best to plan ”limited” access. The food was excellent, the staff was outstanding, and everyone was very friendly. The total experience was wonderful for us. I think I would lean toward their newer ships in the future.

Older Ship Shows Its Age

Statendam Cruise Review by CitationX

CitationX’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Statendam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin B 047
Statendam Room 047 Deck 10The Statendam room numbers do not correspond to the deck numbers. The room with a balcony was nice. The ship overall is well past its prime, and the room walls do creak and rattle (although quietly). In our room the latch to the balcony did not work well, but they did come in to adjust it without us asking several times, I think at the request of the room steward who put out the cushions each day and took them in each night. The room has a refrigerator, not stuffed too full, so we were able to add our own water bottles and some small cans of Coke Zero. We do not drink enough sodas to make a “soda plan” a good deal for us. The room has a nice long desk and couch with coffee table that does adjust up or down, and can actually be moved from side to side or forward and back. The beds (put together as one) were quite comfortable, with plenty of pillows. We did ask the room steward to please put a sheet on the bed. They initially had only a bottom sheet and the comforter, which was often too hot at night, especially since we were sailing the coast south to Peru. The room temperature seemed not to really be controlled. I think there is a main control, and it is often turned off at night or something. The TV and a VCR are in the room. Pretty old technology, and the screens are not too bright. I was able to go into the adjustments and brighten it up a bit. The selection was not a varied as on other ships, but okay. We are not big TV watchers.The bathroom included a tub, and as others say, it is a big step over, but it was nice to have a tub, especially if I decided to wash out something like our beach shoes which were filled with sand. There are two small shelves and a holder with two glasses. I used the glasses as holders for toothbrushes and toothpaste as well as other small brushes, etc. There is a shelf under the sink that can hold larger bottles or extra things. The soap, shampoo and conditioner are mounted on the shower wall. Easy to use and good quality. The hairdryer is in a drawer near the mirror and plugs in on different voltage under the desk. Push it all the way in. Kind of hard for older people to take in and out, but we were okay, although most of the time I left it plugged in and stored under the desk.There seem to be plenty of drawers since we used one of our suitcases opened up flat as two extra drawers under the bed. There are shelves in the closet on one end, but we had snorkel equipment to store, as well as extra supplies for this 31 day trip. Also some of the shelves are taken up by life jackets, robes, and an extra comforter. There is a safe, and 3 hanging closets about 2 feet wide each. We kept our backpacks and suitcases under the bed. They did fit. What to bring for this room is included in my main review.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Lima
    Jose Salinas Casanova can be contacted at casanovacab@hotmail.com. He is a cab and tour guide for Lima, Peru. He works mainly near the Miraflores district, but can guide you anywhere. He took us to Pachacamac which is 45 minutes out of Lima, showing us some beautiful coast line along the way. We toured with him one day and part of the next before he returned us to the ship dock. He has very fair rates and is honest. We went with him to dinner at a wonderful seafood restaurant. He always knows the best places to eat and for very reasonable prices. We paid $15/hr for both of us. Takes US currency. He can be contacted by emailing him in advance. We did this and he met us at the ship. Last time he met my husband at the airport so he is very flexible. If you are already in Lima you can call his cell phone. The number is (51) intern. code 999190336. Dial the phone without the code if you have a phone from Lima. If you want a safe, honest driver who speaks English and will give you a good tour Jose Salinas is the one.Very reliable.
    View All 96 Lima Cruise Port Reviews