• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

divezonescuba
2-5 Cruises

Sail Date: Dec 2014
Cabin: Inside

Recently my husband and I sailed on the Norwegian Jewel out of the bayport terminal in Houston Texas. We live about 10 minutes from the terminal so it makes it an easy on and easy off situation for us. We have sailed on Royal Caribbean several times and once on Princess. This was our first cruise on any Norwegian ship. The embarkation process was painless. When we have sailed from Galveston in the past it has been somewhat difficult and crowded wile trying to get on the ship. Not so at the Bayport terminal. Since they are the only ship it made for a quick check in process. If I had to guess we were on the ship in less than thirty minutes from the start of the check in process. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This was a last minute purchase due to an amazing price on an inside room.

The ship is very clean. I personally enjoyed the décor. The two pools were a bit small compared to other cruise ships we have been on. The hot tubs were also a bit small. We did not use either pool or any of the hot tubs. The food in the Garden Café was plentiful and good. The choice of drinks included in your basic cruise were good. You had a choice of coffee, tea, lemonade, cranberry drink and several flavored waters. I got a soda card and they only had pepsi products onboard. If you are a coke lover then I would urge you to bring some onaboard. We tried four of the specialty restaurants. Cagney's steakhouse I thought was very good. My husband not so much. My steak was cooked perfectly. His not so much. The sides were good overall. The Italian restaurant I would not eat at again. The steak I had there was extremely tough and the menu did not have very many options. We also ate at Le Bistro the French restaurant on board. I thought the food overall was good in this restaurant. The Japanese table cooking restaurant I would have to say was the best hands down. The cost is $25.00 per person additional. It is well worth the money.

We had a meet and greet the second day of the cruise with other members of cruise critic. Several of the officers were at this meet and greet. All of the officers we meet were very friendly and helpful. It seemed that most of the staff actually cared that you were having a good experience. There was the occasional crew member who did not seem to really care. But that was are. The Irish Pub on board also had food at not extra cost. The food was ok but the service was very hit and miss. One side of the pub was getting their food in a very timely manner while our side was not as lucky. It took forever to get our food and when we did receive it was stone cold. the variety of food in the two main dinning rooms was excellent. There were so many choices that you would definitely not go hungry on this ship.

Inside

Cabin IX

Our cabin was small but not cramped. It was tastefully decorated. It was toward the bow of the ship and was extremely quite the whole cruise. The bathroom was the highlight of the cabin. The stall shower is quite spacious compared to other cruise ship bathrooms I have been in. It was decorated with faux wood walls done in a very warm honey color and the floor was a calming teal green tile. I loved the bathroom. The closet space was adequate. Our room steward Johnson was fantastic. We had towel animals every night and he would always say good morning or evening when he saw us. He would also ask how our day was. He was the best room steward we have ever had. I would not hesitate to do another inside room next cruise.

Port Reviews

Cozumel

We have always loved Cozumel. We normally go to Cozumel once a year for a whole week for diving. When we are on the cruise ship we use the time to try out other dive operations on the island that we might use on a future trip, We used Mario Ceh this time. He was very good. I had let him know ahead that I wanted to see seahorses on the dive. He definitely Delivered. He showed us two separate seahorses along with a great selection of other fish. We did a shore dive at a cost of $65.00 per person for a one tank dive. We were under for about 50 to 60 minutes. He is just a short cab ride from the cruise terminal. He has a facebook page where someone can contact him. I also love to shop when I am in Cozumel and we had ample time to both dive and shop.

Roatan

This is our third time at this port. We have dove here every time. The first time we used Anthony's key off the cruise ship. The second time we went diving at Fantasy Island and this third time we used a company called Sun Divers on the West End. By far this third time was the best experience ever on this island. They are extremely professional and will pickup and drop off at the cruise ship for no extra charge. Their boat was clean and large. The two dive sites they selected were stunning. The port itself is clean and has a good selection of shops for those last minute gifts. There is also a straw market outside the cruise terminal which we have never been too. However I have seen other passengers going there to buy things. The island itself is beautiful.

previous reviewnext review