3. Splendour of the Seas
This was my 9th cruise, but 1st time with Royal Caribbean. I traveled w/ my teenage son, and four other female family members arranging from ages: 40-60. We drove to Galveston, and arrived at Port of Galveston around 11:30. We drove right up, and was greeted by porters, and we took the car to Park in Lot B. We rode the shuttle back, and went right up to the attendant and was on the ship within 15 minutes of arriving. Our last cruise was just about as smooth.. so ,,, Galveston has it down pat! The porters are very, very nice, and really take care of us! So...tip them well - They make it possible for me to wear a different pair of shoes every night to dinner along w/ a different clutch. ( why not pack what I want? ( I don't have to unload it or carry it! ) ( I will be comparing Carnival to Royal Caribbean most of the time) Upon arriving,, I noticed that I didn't see many staff members, and had to go to the bar to get something to drink. I hated that I had to get up and get something to drink,, instead of having someone come to me. This is fine,, but not the norm. Cabin: The cabin was smaller, and didn't have the huge shelves for all of my purses,, cover-ups, etc. The cabinet for toiletries was in room, instead of bathroom, which was also smaller,, but very clean and updated. I loved the fact that you could draw the curtain to change, or sit on the couch to watch the swivel television. This allows someone to sleep later without the light bothering them! Our stateroom attendant was very sweet and kept our room spotless. They want you to put a card on your door when you need your cabin cleaned.. but I didn't have one,, until the last day, but she always kept it clean, w/ fresh towels. Royal Caribbean does not provide a travel size dish of: toothpaste, razors, lotions, mints etc...like Carnival. So, don't forget your toiletries. Be sure and bring your own soap...the kind that was provided isn't that pleasant smelling. Dining: We had a table on the upper level: 5. It was next to the window,, so I really loved that. We enjoyed our table guest. Our waiter was LaVinia,, and was the most beautiful, soft spoken (too much so: couldn't hear her most times) most helpful person. She had great recommendations, and didn't hesitate to tell us to get two entrees if we were sure. I loved our Head Waiter!! Mr. Hans from Germany! He was most entertaining, and provided many magic tricks, and his jokes and short stories were really fun!. ( Carnival provided waiters, and busboys,, that sometimes, if u r lucky provides tidbits of fun, with a Maitre D' that "might" walk around for his .75 tip a day) I was disappointed that they did not have entertainment after dinner every night,, but that's o.k. we were able to eat within a two hour time range. I loved the food. The pasta are dry, which I notice is always the norm. The beef isn't up to par - a little dry! The prime rib was good,, although was a little to fatty for me. The desserts are good, and most of the time had something chocolate for us lovers! tip: order icecream w/ your desserts, and skip the apple pie. Entertainment: We always were able to get a front row seat.. because the ship does not play bingo before every show! ( Thank goodness!) The stage was small, the band was under the floor, in which I hated not being able to see the trumpet players, and listening to music before the show; although they did have these huge screens with great information) They had great dancers, but not many props at all. The shows were just o.k. and had only one comedian, which he was wonderful. I missed this most of all. ( Carnival provides a comedy show almost every night! ) RC did have another smaller lounge that had Karaoke where you were able to sing w/ the great live band. Carnival had the Entertainment beat ; hands down! I did not like Costa Maya! It was beautiful,, but the beaches were rocky.. the pool was dirty, and the prices were outrageous! The first shop was selling Maracha's for 10.00 a set. Around the corner to the back/ they were $2.00 a set! Don't buy from the shops in the front! She jewelry in the back, also were fair prices. If you don't take an excursion,, which most were cancelled! You only have to get off of the boat for about an hour... They did provide a shuttle, but the walk is really short to the Island from the ship. RC doesn't provide many props for outdoor pictures either. We had a great time. It is a very relaxing ship. They did not provide many little extras, for example: They do not provide hand held maps of the ship. They do not have chairs to sit in outdoor to dine in. The buffet had tons of stuff... but skip it! The pizza was horrible ( I was wondering why there was never ever a line! ) also, the little girl form China/// was soooo rude! The sandwiches were made in advance,, I really , really missed my hot, made to order sandwiches, my pizza, and most of all... the hot cocoa . The icecream wasn't open 24 hr. either! and was out,, with no help in sight to refill it! The gratuities are not automatically figured in: which was o.k. you can put it on your Sail and Sign and hand it to them personally. Everyone of them deserved it and more! Activities: Just o.k. not a lot to do. It was Spring Break, and we didn't even realize there were teenagers on the boat: they were so wellbehaved. You have to be out of your stateroom by 7:00 on the last day before you leave, which is mean! We were all so tired!@!!! They called our color on time, (9:45) and was on the ferry in Galveston by 10:15. It was super quick!!!!! We had a great time, and will I sail w/ RC again? I think so. I like change I guess: If only they promise to get hot chocolate< maps, and better pizza!!!!!!!!!!!! O yea, and a bigger stage, and a better entertainment schedule!

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by EP5

( I will be comparing Carnival to Royal Caribbean most of the time)
EP5’s Full Rating Summary