Viking Fontane Cruise Review

This was our first Viking cruise

Viking Fontane Cruise Review by Mrs. Person

• Sail Date: Oct 2014
  • Destination: Europe River

This was our first Viking cruise. We added a few days at the beginning of our trip in Berlin. We stayed at a Hilton hotel which was arranged for us through Viking. So glad we did that. The hotel was situated very well for our needs. We did take cabs to take us further out in the city. It was a wonderful cosmopolitan mix of the old (being restored) and the very modern new. We truly enjoyed both of them. We took a tour of the city when our official cruise time began. Lovely to see so much of that city.

We enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. It was immaculately clean. The buffet breakfasts were delicious and the service was excellent.

We were on the ship after a long ride on a bus. Did not know anyone, but slowly enjoyed the company of the couple across from us. We arrived at the boat on a clear sunny day. Were welcomed by the captain and a very eager to please staff. Our cabin was great. It was not as small as I thought it would be. We had a large sliding window and a smaller one at the side of the bed. The bathroom felt bigger than it was. tv reception was not good at all. There was always plenty to do, or not do. It was relaxing in every respect. And always very clean.

Dining at every meal was an adventure. It was hard not to want to eat everything on the menu or the buffet.

We truly had to obey our stomachs and not our eyes! Presentation was always smart, and our waiter was very kind. He catered to each one of us like a family member would. He was terrific.

The port and shore excursions were too short for my liking. I never felt that I could shop for a meaningful souvenir in a leisurely way. Some of our time was wasted by poor planning. One whole excursion was to a beer hall, with the whole town shut down because it was Saturday afternoon. No place was open to tour.

My husband enjoyed many of the activities, while I need to rest. He participated in many.

Our last stop was Prague. There were many hotels. The one that Viking chose fore us was just okay.

However, every time we wanted to go to the center of the city, the bus ride was a half an hour. Therefore approximately one hour of a day would be wasted.

Other than the complaints I have mentioned. I thought it was a nice vacation. Unfortunately our last meal in Prague, gave my husband food poisoning. When got back to the USA we disembarked with assistance and were in an emergency room that night. He spent the following few days in the hospital. So the end of our trip was not good.

Mrs. Person's Full Rating Summary