3. Oosterdam
We stayed overnight at the Best Western Bayside and found it quite nice. It was a twelve dollar taxi ride from the airport and we had a lovely view of the dock from our windows. We ate both lunch and dinner at a small Italian restaurant directly across from the hotel and the food and service was exceptional, it was quite reasonable in price. The hotel had a shuttle service to the dock and embarkation was quick and hassle free. We did have all our paperwork done in advance. On board we acquainted ourselves with the ship and I made reservations for a manicure and facial, there was no line up. I would unequivocally recommend if you have a facial that you request the girl from Scotland. She is delightful and gave me the best relaxing facial that I have ever had. We had lunch in the Lido restaurant and our suite was ready in about two hours. We had a Superior Veranda Suite which was very nice, the cabin attendant kept the room and bathroom spotlessly clean. There was ample closet space, a flat screen TV, a very comfortable queen size bed with nice linens and bathrobes. The bathroom had a double sink, Jacuzzi and a separate shower stall. The balcony was roomy with table and chairs and two chairs for lounging with footstools. We used room service for breakfast only and the food arrived piping hot and on time. The kippers were fantastic though why they were served with potatoes and scrambled egg was a mystery to me. I requested balsamic vinegar and to slightly raised eyebrows it was delivered promptly. We would have killed for some HP Sauce when we had eggs and bacon but no luck there. Ah well. We ate in the dining room every night with the exception of one meal in the Pinnacle and our last meal on Friday which we ate in the Lido. I found the food in the dining room to be adequate but nothing I would call top notch. The two waiters we had for our particular table of six were outstanding, polite yet friendly. The entrees were varied but seemed to me to lack in imagination though they were by no means pedestrian; on the whole I was disappointed with the desserts. The cheese plate for example was dull and unappetizing with extremely meager portions and only a scanty portion of blue cheese, the remaining cheeses were tiny, unrecognizable, tasteless and extremely bland. We had wine every night with dinner and the wine steward to put it bluntly was arrogant and not overly helpful. The Pinnacle dining room was tastefully appointed and the service was very good. The food was haute cuisine. We both had crab cakes as appetizers which were very good and for an entrEe we had planked prawns with asparagus. The prawns were delicious; the asparagus was rather stringy; the bernaise sauce was good, though by no means as good as I can make it. The desert was a disaster, I ordered Crème brulee which came in a dish divided into three separate portions, Crème brulee it was not, rather three separate flavored Jello puddings would be my guess. My husband had ice cream which he said was OK. For a combined cost of sixty dollars and in my opinion a too overly large tip it did not by any stretch of the imagination live up to our expectations. We ate lunch every day in the Lido and really enjoyed it. The English fish and chips are wonderful and the bread pudding is to die for. The varied assortments of cheesecakes made me think that I had died and gone to cheesecake heaven. In summation all I can say is "hats off to the chefs in the Lido." We ate dinner in the Lido our last night and had skewered filet mignon steak, absolutely fantastic. We were served at our table on table linen and by a charming waiter. The vegetables accompanying the deliciously tender steak were hot and crisp, the potato wedges melted in your mouth. I had crème brulee for dessert and it was the best that I have every tasted. We had a glass of house wine and it too was quite good. Our one dinner in the Lido far surpassed any meal we had in the dining room and was way superior to the sixty dollar dinner we had in the Pinnacle. The entertainment was pretty good though the volume of the speakers was way too loud for comfort. The casino looked OK if you could stand the second hand cigarette smoke which hung like a thick cloud over everything and drifted into the adjoining hallways. We couldn't tolerate the heavy smoke and the ghastly odors and beat a hasty retreat. The popcorn in the movie theatre was frightful, absolutely horrible. The stores were abysmal; the adjective to describe most of the items for sale would be tacky. The jewelry for sale was to my mind over priced and I had some doubts regarding the authenticity of some of it. The store selling clothing had some quality items though I thought that they too were a tad overpriced. The Oosterdam was kept spotlessly clean with much evidence of continual sanitization being carried out. We were really impressed with the measures being taken to prevent any outbreak of the Norwalk virus. I can't honestly say I was overly impressed with the color scheme throughout the ship, to be scrupulously fair I must admit my tastes run to more subdued colors. I can't speak too highly of the personnel at the front desk, they were friendly and helpful and extremely courteous. We disembarked on Saturday with no problems; everything was orchestrated to be hassle free, which it was. Over all we enjoyed our cruise with Holland American and I definitely would recommend it. We plan to travel with them again.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera