3. Royal Princess
First time back on a cruise ship after a few year hiatus. Last cruise we went on out of Miami, I got Norovirus which cured my cruise ambitions (different cruise line) Embarked at Brooklyn, cruise terminal nice, nieghborhood less so. Embarkation was a breeze, had a mini suite which was a definite nice upgrade. We did not have the elevator experience that most seem to complain about, we are in mid-50's and took stairs more often than not. Having said that, demographic on this cruise was more than 60+ in age. We did the specialty dining at Sabatini's, and the Crown Grill several nights, both in my estimation well worth it. Also did the seafood (crab-shack)? which was less than worth it. Did anytime dining, typically after 1900, zero issues being seated. Wheelhouse bar was our hang out, did not do the drink package, overall I found our bar bill reasonable, between the two of use, one or two pre-dinner and perhaps three after dinner drinks. I would have had to have far more more to equal the drink package, ie. you really got to want to drink more than that to have some value to it. A little too much sales pressure in the spa, be prepared to be sold every possible package there. Never really saw too much other sales pressure, even the photogs were polite, no issues noted. Ports of call: Newport,a pleasant surprise, tender only, we walked our own tour, up through town, to the cliff side and back again, several festivals that day. Very pleasant. Boston, our favorite, walked the Freedom Trainl, even up Breeds Hill monument, healthy workout. Took a cab into town, fare sure varied, obviously first driver recognized us a pure tourist and took the long route in. But our favorite stop. Bar Harbor, tender stop, cute town, heavy fog, glad we did not take bus trip, those who did saw nothing. We walked on the harbor side, did the bar walk, alhough we did not walk on the island, the sign stated we needed a Federal Park permit to enter, not willing to risk an encounter with a park ranger we skipped the island. In town felt that the end of the tourist season was evident at a local restaurant. lousy service, lousy crab rolll, town dirty and over-run with people, probably due to weather. St Johns, a lttle industrial looking, did the hike up to the reversing falls, ho-hum. Farmers market OK, hiked through town, was not over impressed, although local pub had pleasant bartender who I felt should have been on their Chamber of Commerce, nice stop due to her dialogue. Halifax, heavy fog, great harbor walk, really enjoed it, stopped at WW II Corvette got the royal tour by Ian who served on ship for 30+ years, great visit, too bad weather was so-so. Day at sea interesting due to hurricane some 700 miles away, really no issues other than some rolling. glad we went, brought back my confidence in crusing. Would try to take tour of ship, spoke to fellow passenger who just raved about it, sign up as soon as you board. Conclusion, as long as you are not overly dependent on elevators I would do this ship again, not sure about the complaints about lack of elevators, perhaps it depends on which deck you were on, we were on Deck 10 and had either stairs of elevators. Good trip, enjoyed all of it, great wait staff at Wheelhouse Bar, did a great job of representing ship, knew ports of call, made recommendations and gave us a great insight on crew life, well done.

Nice Cruise, third cruise

Royal Princess Cruise Review by brlama

Ports of call:

brlama’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Had mini suite, nice size bath. Not overly tight, room size fine,
  Royal Princess Deck Plans