• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Allure of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
64 Awards

Allure was not so alluring this time

Review for Allure of the Seas to the Western Caribbean
lexus7
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Nov 2014
Cabin: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Traveled with children

This was our 35th cruise, our second cruise on the Allure, with our first being 2 years ago. We are Diamond members. It started very badly with check in a the Pier at about 12:30pm. Our family had booked 2 connecting balcony cabins. At check in we were told we we no longer had connecting cabins, but two cabins about 10 rooms apart. We are a family of 2 grandparents, 2 parents, and 2 babies, a 2 year old and a 9 month old. We booked this particular cruise because we could get connecting rooms, so we could go back and forth and share baby sitting duties. We were directed to the last check in counter at the pier and told we had to try to solve the issue there. After 1/2 an hour in line with restless babies, we were told that they could do nothing there and we had to go onboard to solve the issue. So we went onboard and put our hand luggage in one room. After about 30 minutes in line at Guest Services, we were told that someone was was in my room and to come back in a couple of hours--that nothing could be done yet. Someone at Royal Caribbean in Miami had changed the room without any notifcation to us. So no one took showers, or unpacked because we weren't sure which room we could use. At 3pm I returned to guest services, waited in line about 45 minutes, and was told to return at 5pm. Guest Services attendants were rude, as if I had some nerve expecting them to solve a rooming issue. At 5pm I returned, waited in line about 30 minutes, and was finally met by Jose, the Guest Services director. He would try to get the guests to move, but I had to leave. I wanted to stand right there until the issue was resolved. About 30 minutes later Jose somehow got them to agree to move and I would get the room in about an hour becuase now it needed cleaning. We got into our room at 730pm, seven hours fter we checked in. Then we had to call for someone to unlock the connecting doors, and that took another 1/2 hour. We had a so-so dinner in the Windjammer buffet instead of the dining room because swe couldn't unpack. I was an emotional wreck because it would have been very difficult for us to enjoy the week had we not been given our rooms. I'm sure the people who only had to move from that room were given ship board credit or free specialty dinners, or more. We were given nothing for our lost day. On the next to the last day of the cruise Jose happened to see me and offered a lunch at Giovanni's and a small discount on a future cruise.

In general, the cruise was OK. The food was not as good as last time, either in the dining room or the Windjammer, or the Solarium Bistro. We had a disappointing lunch at Giovannis--don't order the stuffed shrimp. The best lunch is in the Park Cafe. Service was very good everywhere. Chicago was excellent, as was Oceanaria. I've seen their headliner so many times I skipped that show. The Blue Planet show was not entertaining at all. I enjoyed the comedians. We were in line to get off the ship for more than 1 hour. Last time it was minutes. Royal Caribbean, you didn't WOW me this time.

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin D2

Good location, typical Royal Caribbean balcony cabin. Our attendant, Leo, was great throughout the week.

Find an Allure of the Seas Cruise from $316