Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by imouer
- Sail Date: November 2014
- Destination: Western Caribbean
Where do I start? The food poisoning? No, I will save that for later and go in chronological order:
• The drinks- They were very weak, possible even watered down. I could not get drunk on that ship no matter how hard I tried! Also unlike most bars and other lines, they don’t have a slight upcharge (like $2) for a double, the charge you for 2 drinks and 2 tips! At one point I was drinking straight rum and it tasted like 50/50 rum and water and I never got a buzz.
• In different, lack of or even rude service- This one really took me back because I had always thought that the servers was a cut above on Princess.
o Many of the bartenders would ignore you, even at slow times.
o There was next to NO servers walking around the deck, bars or theater taking drink order. On other lines, there are friendly servers everywhere! You should never have to go in search for a drink on a cruise ship (only to my ignores or treated poorly by a bar tender, then servers a weak drink on top of that)
o On multiple occasions I acutely saw bartenders snap at customers trying to order a drink and saw a maître d lose his cool for no reason on 2 woman that were asking if it were OK for them to seat themselves after he under communicated to them that they were to wait. It was a terrible site. Don’t get me wrong, we saw friendly bar tenders too, but enough not so good ones to take notice.
• Weak entertainment- Honestly, there were so few entertainment options compared to what we are used to that we were bored to death most of the time. When we did venture out to see a comic or a show or a band, it was often so bad that I felt embarrassed for the entertainers on the stage. I have attended many high school productions that were far better.
Unless you like bingo, trivia games, G-rated comics (stone cold sober with no drink services), cigarette smoke infused casinos and REALLY cheesy lounge acts that can even make Stairway to Heaven sound uncool.. The entertainment was a complete miss. They had all these beautiful bars and stages that 99% of the time went UN or underutilized. For example, Club Fusion was a great space that was almost entirely unused. They really need to turn that into a “Punch-liner” style comedy club and fill it with 2 new national acts EVERY night with standing Karaoke times sandwiched in between. This works for the other lines. And yeah, where was the Karaoke??? That is half the reason we cruise!
• Décor- Let’s face it, it’s dated. The buffet areas look like a combo of a 80s Denny’s and 90s Asian all you can eat joint. The bars are gorgeous with their wood but since they have very little good entertainment to draw you in, you even got to really see or appreciate them. The first time I saw this class of ship 15 years ago I was dazzled… unfortunately they look exactly the same today and Princess has not kept up with the times like other lines.
• Food Poisoning- On the last night we ate in the main dining room and I order the San Francisco Seafood dish. I thought that the scallops were a little off but unfortunately I ate them anyway. 2-3 hours later I was doubled over and bellyaching followed by a long night of vomiting. I should have known better than to eat seafood on the last night of a cruise so in part I blame myself.
The bright spots? Yes, there were good things.
• The buffet is still amongst the best in the industry! WE LOVE IT. Generally speaking we love the love all around on Princess, great attention to detail (accept where they gave me food poisoning).
• The Skywalkers disco! Again we have never seen a better disco packed with more fun dancers than on a Princess
• The movies in the Theater. We love being in a real theater watching movies on sea days!
• The beautiful bars and use of wood in the bars. It’s just too bad they were closed most of the time or had acts that actually repulsed cruisers rather than drew them in.
• Our server in the formal dining room was really good and sweet. Our Stewart was nice enough but more of less indifferent to us, we didn’t feel really connected to him as we have on any other cruise… He did his job however and we gave him and our servers a decent tip.
• My Teens loved the cruise and the friends they made.
• VALUE!! This was the cheapest cruise I have even been on, its hard to complain for was was almost a free cruise but… it is what it is.
250,000+ people have entered their email