3. Norwegian Epic
At long last I am sitting down to write my review of my fabulous 7 days on the Epic. Writing this brings back so many memories and makes me want to do it all over again! For those of you who just want a quick summary, see immediately below. For those who want a longer, blog-type review, please find my review on the messages boards under the same title. Quick review: •Mid October has unpredictable weather – be prepared for rain, lots of sun, cool temperatures, and heat in the more southern ports, basically pack one of everything. •I found the Epic to be a vast improvement over my other NCL cruise on the Norwegian Sky, so in this case, newer does mean better. •If you smile and are nice to the staff, they treat you like royalty. True everywhere, but definitely very true on the Epic. •Embarkation took about a half hour and disembarkation took less than 5 minutes! •Food in the buffet/MDRs was mainly average with no real problems, but no real standouts. The specialty restaurants are worth the splurge. •The spa pass is completely worth it. (Hint: if you go on the second or third day, they give you a discount for the days that you didn't get to use it!) •Shore excursions were all well-organized and worth the money. •The solo cabins, lounge, and solo traveler activities are quite possibly the best things to ever happen in cruising. •Overall, an excellent trip and I would book on the Epic (either in a solo cabin or a spa cabin) again in a heartbeat.

An Epic Solo Adventure

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by LibrarianLizy

Quick review:
•Shore excursions were all well-organized and worth the money.

LibrarianLizy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Studio
Cabin T1 12535
Excellent cabin in a good, central location. Very quiet. I couldn't hear anything from my neighbors or in the hallways. This is a connecting room. Shampoo, body wash, and liquid hand soap are provided, bring anything else, including bar soap, you may need.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Barcelona
    Barcelona is a beautiful city and needs several days to explore thoroughly. I highly recommend the hop on-hope off bus company, Bus Touristic, and the Aerobús to get from the airport to Plaça de Catalunya.
    View All 2,290 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • Cannes
    Beautiful, beautiful town. I would recommend taking an excursion if visiting Nice or Monoco simply for peace of mind in not missing the ship. If you're just going to walk around Cannes, no excursion necessary. I used Rick Steves's book as my guide and just wandered for a few hours. There are lots of charming restaurants if you get off the main drag. This would also be a great place to visit the beach if you so desire.
    View All 500 Cannes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cannes Cruise Port Review
  • Leaning Tower of Pisa
    I did not climb the tower or go into the church, but would have liked to if I had the time. Lovely, even in the rain.
    View All 134 Leaning Tower of Pisa Reviews
  • Pisa Walking Tour
    I was surprised I liked Pisa as much as I did, but I was charmed by it's winding streets and the leaning tower. I stayed with my guide to get a narrated tour and got a much better experience. I did not climb the tower or go into the church, but would have liked to if I had the time. Watch out for the massive amounts of gnats swirling around the fountain.
    View All 83 Pisa Walking Tour Reviews
  • Wine Tour
    The winery was a disappointment. I was expecting something more along the lines of the winery I visited during my study abroad time, but this was really more of a farm that was designed to feed large tour groups authentic Italian food overlooking the Tuscan countryside. They did have a small vineyard and an olive tree grove, but it really wasn’t impressive. However, the food was fantastic. Homemade pasta in a very nice bolognese sauce, and lots and lots of crusty bread, olive oil, various cured meats and cheeses, olives, and some of the best sundried tomatoes I’ve ever eaten. And wine of course. :)
    View All 51 Wine Tour Reviews
  • Naples
    I do not like Naples at all. It is dirty, smelly, and, when I went, full of construction and bad traffic. I highly recommend you take an excursion and experience the cool stuff around Naples and skip Naples itself. The port terminal has wifi in the cafe on the second level; as long as you buy something it's free to use for however long you like. Many crew members utilize this perk.
    View All 1,433 Naples Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Naples Cruise Port Review
  • Wine Tasting
    Excellent excursion. This winery was a huge improvement over the one in Tuscany. We had a very nice tasting with generous pours and snacks, plus a detailed tour of the winery with excellent guides. This particular excursion also does a short driving tour of the island and takes you up to the castle for a photo stop before heading back into Palma for some free time. Beautiful place and great tour; can't wait to visit again!
    View All 21 Wine Tasting Reviews
  • Orvieto
    A great excursion to a beautiful little hilltop town. Orvieto is best known for its cathedral, Duoma di Orvieto, and its wine. The church is one of the best examples of Medieval architecture I've ever seen. If you've been to Rome, try visiting the hill towns around the area. You won't be disappointed!