3. Viking Var
A group of 8 of us went. It was our first river cruise. The trip was fantastic. The room was very comfortable. If you are a large person, the shower would be too small. The food was aways first rate, as was the service. I took the optional wine tasting tour, which was horrible. The optional tour to Colmar was excellent. Others in our group did the WWII tour, and enjoyed it. Some of the things I wish I had known ahead of time are: 1. Most of the morning tours begin about 8:30 2. Several of the places require a lot of stairs. If you have trouble with stairs, this is not your trip. 3. Most of the time, the cruise line provides transportation into town for your free time. So if you choose not to take an optional excursion, you are not stuck on the boat. 4. Some of the optional tours have long bus rides. Ask about the length of the bus ride if it concerns you. 5. There are fresh baked cookies available most of the day if you need a snack. 6. Bottled water is provided on every excursion. I could not have been more pleased by Viking. The only low point of the trip was the wine tasting. We spent almost 4 hours on a bus to taste 4 lousy wines, and learn nothing about wine making. The guides in each city were very knowledgable and entertaining. Everyone connected with Viking spoke fluent English.

Rhine Getaway

Viking Var Cruise Review by sacook51459

1. Most of the morning tours begin about 8:30
5. There are fresh baked cookies available most of the day if you need a snack.
6. Bottled water is provided on every excursion.
sacook51459’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Var price drops

My cabin was on the top level with a balcony. The room is small but comfortable. We did not use the balcony much, preferring to go to the sun deck so you could see both sides of the river. It was always quiet. The bathroom lighting is not good for applying make-up. The bed and pillows were comfortable.
  Viking Var Deck Plans