We are experienced cruisers, principally with Cunard. On this occasion, we travelled on our own prior and after the cruise.
Our overall experience with this cruise and mainly with Regal Princess was quite disappointing. Past contributors have already mentionned the points which we deemed negative on this ship. I shall only summarize:
- our standard balcony (A603) was sub-standard as compared to others we have seen, both in terms of size and insulation (we could clearly hear neighbours' cough and TV). This includes the balcony which is so small 2 persons cannot easily use it at the same time, much less eat on;
- there is no walk-around promenade; walking is an important part of cruising for us and it cannot be done; there is a short, totally unprotected and subject to loud music track on top of the ship, not a proper compensation for this flaw which also implies small relaxing deck;
- the absence of a central staircase and of elevator coordination is most unpleasant;
- there is no front-facing deck or even interior space (such as a bar) which means one cannot look at where the ship is going, see the port arrivals and departure from this basic point of view, also a key pleasure for us;
- there are very few relaxing areas as most are grouped around the Atrium and there are almost always loud activities there which are widely broadcast even two deck above;
- extremely loud entertainment.
Some positive points of this cruise:
- good embarkation but long delays on disembarkation;
- very nice itinerary (although one port, Toulon, was misnamed as we docked in another port) and well organized tours;
- excellent food at dinners;
- very stable ship (to the point that we wondered why she was slowed down during a night of light swell);
- very good service by everyone.
In summary my opinion is that Regal Princess should be avoided completely if you have cruised before.
- very small cabin and balcony;- no sitting area, a big lack given the noisy atmosphere everywhere- poor insulation from next cabins;- good placement of wardrobe and bathroom