3. Oasis of the Seas
My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 7-day cruise on Oasis of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. Our expectations were high and, for the most part, Royal Caribbean met or exceeded them! The ship is gorgeous, well-maintained, and is easy to find your way around despite its size. Embarkation: We had an early flight into Fort Lauderdale and took a cab to the cruise terminal. For those wondering, expect to pay roughly $20 including tip. Our fare was $16 (including a $3 fee for all cabs starting at the airport), and we tipped up to $20. We had no traffic on the way to the terminal around 10 AM, but we were early and I expect that traffic did accumulate later in the day. Also, there is road work being done at the port. We had to wait at the doors until 10:30 or so prior to going through security. Following security, we made our way to the Royal Caribbean counter for check-in, which was very easy. We then made our way to the second level of the terminal to wait until we were allowed to board the ship. I believe they started boarding the “preferred” passengers (diamond, emerald, suites, etc.) around 11:30. By noon, we were onboard and enjoying lunch in the Windjammer. Stateroom Cabin: I thought they were going to renovate the staterooms during the recent dry dock, but it looks as if only the carpeting was replaced. Regardless, our stateroom (balcony, aft, deck 11) was well appointed. I appreciated the bed being closest to the balcony; it allowed us to maneuver around the room easier. There is plenty of closet space, and close to 30 hangers were provided (thank you!). The television is flat-screen and large. The interactive TV (to book reservations, view reservations, review account charges) was nice but sometimes did not operate properly. Our stateroom attendant was excellent. The shower had glass doors and a dual-function showerhead. Things that were lacking: a pen and pad of paper (we had to ask for a pen to fill out debarkation paperwork and customs forms), a clock (it’s only on the telephone; how can there be no clock in a room?), and ice (you had to ask for it). Also, the couch looked worn on the armrests and could use a replacement. Dining: So many options! Food was great! I'll outline individual choices below. My Time Dining: We chose My Time Dining, the first time we have done so. Overall, we enjoyed it, and it worked well! We made all reservations prior to cruising, based on show times that evening. We were able to change reservations if we wanted to, and that wasn’t too difficult. We were always seated promptly and every night we had a table for two, as requested. Our wait staff was different every night, as expected. We only had poor service one night, when the poor head waiter was left without an assistant waiter for whatever reason. We were impressed with the food choices, portions, and quality of the food in the main dining room. Topping the list is the prime rib – do NOT miss the prime rib! It was excellent…perhaps the best I have ever had. The roast duck and lamb shank were also delicious and large portions. Our waiters had no issues bringing us an appetizer and a soup if requested. I saw others ordering two entrees. The last formal night includes lobster and shrimp (fisherman’s plate) and prime rib. The lobster was a typical cruise lobster – very tough and overcooked, which was unfortunate. Opt for the prime rib, trust me. Formal nights: Most guests dressed appropriately and looked elegant. Few thought that shorts and boat shoes, baseball caps, and t-shirts were considered formal attire. They unfortunately were still allowed to dine. I’d love for cruise lines to actually enforce the dress code, but that just isn’t happening. Windjammer: For breakfast, the selections were the exact same every day. This got old quickly. Also, the lack of made-to-order eggs is glaringly obvious and an extreme disappointment. (Made-to-order eggs are only available at the Wipeout Café on the Sports Deck). For lunch, the selections were better and rotated each day. I enjoyed the soups and international cuisine. However, the crowd could be overbearing, especially when there are so many international guests (Asians in particular) who do not know how lines operate and cut in front of everyone. We had an elderly couple steal our table and refuse to move when we returned – our bags were on our chairs and our drinks were on the table! A group of elderly women from New York (Brooklyn) with thick accents were extremely rude to the wait staff. They went as far as to demand “fresh” hamburgers be grilled for them (ladies, “fresh” means frozen and brought on board 5 days ago in Florida…). One thing that did impress me was that staff often came around with drinks and special desserts to serve the guests. But overall, the Windjammer just isn’t large enough to accommodate 6,000+ guests. Park Café: This was my favorite dining option on the ship. Breakfast included a bagel station and pre-made sandwiches and wraps, fruit cups, pastries, etc. Lunch included a made-to-order salad station, excellent sandwiches (the Signature roast beef sandwich really is delicious), and soups. Desserts were really nice as well. There is a decent amount of seating available within the café as well as throughout Central Park. Sorrento’s: My wife enjoyed the pizza, while I opted for Park Café most days for lunch. Slices are small, but they will give you as many as you would like. Café Promenade: Pastries and desserts were excellent! Small finger sandwiches for lunch were also excellent. Solarium Bistro: Nice healthy options for breakfast and lunch, including fruit, parfaits, granola, eggs, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, whole grain pancakes, smoked salmon. Wipeout: This is your typical deck buffet with burgers, hot dogs, French fries, etc. Boardwalk Dog House: This is new. They have several options. The German wurst was great (though not a true bratwurst). I was surprised this wasn’t more crowded. Izumi: Did they do away with Izumi? It was never listed on the Cruise Compass, but was still available on the maps. I’m just going to assume it is gone. Specialty restaurants: We didn’t dine at any of them. Room Service: For breakfast, they will call you beforehand (in our case 45 minutes early) and tend to be earlier than requested, so keep that in mind. Food was really nice, but portions for breakfast are small. Entertainment: The shows were EXCELLENT! Cats was very well done. They performed the entire musical! My wife and I are fans of Cats, so we enjoyed it. Many left at intermission due to the sheer length of the show. We heard many complaining it was too long, but we enjoyed that. Others complained that it wasn’t offered later in the week (only the first two nights). There were plenty of open seats, so if you don’t get a reservation, show up at the door and you will likely be seated. Oasis of Dreams was interesting. If there is a theme to this show, it wasn’t obvious. The divers and gymnasts were GREAT. But there is little continuity between segments to tie the show together. Frozen in Time was a real treat. The talented figure skaters are top notch. Come Fly With Me featured amazing gymnasts and acrobats performing some really great stunts above the stage. We sat up front and were in awe at what they were able to do. Headliner Showtime featured Kenny James, former Star Search contestant. What a treat! He was excellent! The bass player was amazing…later on, we learned it was his son! Wow, what talent! This was one of the highlights of the trip. The Comedy Club was extremely small (huge oversight by Royal Caribbean) and only seated 140 guests. We luckily had reservations and enjoyed the shows tremendously. John Mulrooney was absolutely hilarious. Live music onboard was excellent. We enjoyed the jazz music in Jazz on 4 as well as the Classical music featuring Imprezza. The musicians are top-notch. Neighborhoods: Central Park: My favorite neighborhood on the ship. I loved to grab a cup of coffee from the Park Cafe and find a comfortable chair to sit at and read for an hour or so. It's simply gorgeous. Royal Promenade: The busiest neighborhood, with shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I also enjoyed grabbing a bite to eat and sitting here for awhile. It can feel busy and crowded during days at sea, especially around events. Sports Deck: Top notch - mini golf, Flow Rider, zip line, rock climbing, pools, basketball courts, ping pong. Pools: They get crowded on days at sea, but it was never an issue finding a good spot. The Solarium was really beautiful and quieter. Island music was provided on most days by an excellent band. Hot tubs galore! Other guests: Wow…where do I begin? First, let me start with the pros. We met some extremely friendly couples and families onboard and enjoyed our conversations with them. But what stands out for us is just how rude so many of the guests were. Why do so many guests act so entitled? We witnessed elderly couples complaining about any and everything. (My pie crust isn’t flaky as described. Our private table is too close to the railing and makes me dizzy. The table next to us is too loud. You called me Ms. but I’m actually a Mrs.) I could go on and on, but the complaints we heard were ridiculous! Come on people, you are on vacation – enjoy it! There are tons of international guests onboard. Many of them do not follow the same codes of conduct as the American guests. The Asians don’t understand how lines work. They run you over constantly in the hallways, staircases, buffet lines, promenade, and shops. They talk throughout shows. Staff: I am assuming many staff members had some time off during the recent dry dock because many seemed refreshed and cheerful. We were impressed with all staff members we encountered. The bar staff do not try to sell you drinks constantly like they do on other ships. You aren’t forced through the smoky casino. No one tries to talk you into pictures if you don’t want them. To put it simply, if you smile and are nice to the staff, they will do the same to you. Again, we were amazed at how many people were flat out rude and nasty towards the staff. They work extremely hard. Itinerary and Ports: Royal Caribbean does an excellent job getting guests on and off the ship as quickly as possible. We never waited to get off the ship. We simply took the elevator to the gangway (using a special button on the elevator), got our cards scanned, and walked off. Towels are available for sign-out once off the ship - how convenient! You can return them prior to boarding the ship at the end of the day. This is really, really nice. Labadee: What a gorgeous port of call. We got off the boat promptly upon arrival at 8 AM. We enjoyed a morning on Nellie’s Beach, but it got very crowded. The blue canopies obstruct the views of other guests. We ended up getting back on the ship for a late lunch in the Windjammer and staying onboard after that point. I walked to other beaches, which weren't as crowded as Nellie's Beach, but also weren't as nice. Watch out for the native Haitians in the artisan market, who call out to you from half a mile away trying to get you to stop by their stand to make a purchase. ("Hey! Red shirt! White hat! Hey! Come here!") Falmouth: We booked a private excursion to Hilton Rose Hall (all-inclusive) and it was excellent. There are plenty of shops in the area where the ship docks. Cozumel: We booked a private excursion – sail and snorkel – and it again was excellent. Taxi service was easy to find, and prices to most destinations are listed on a sign. Cozumel is the place to snorkel if you are interested in this! Debarkation: Royal Caribbean has this down to a science. We enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in the American Icon dining room and had a 9:45 departure time. Coffee and pastries were available at the gathering places. The Coast Guard was onboard for drills, so that delayed things a bit, but we debarked without hassle and got through the long customs line rather quickly (maybe 30 minutes). Taxi to the airport was delayed by traffic a bit. And Fort Lauderdale airport was a fiasco getting through security with 34,000 expected departures from arriving cruise ships. A word of advice: Get to the airport earlier than you typically would, and get through the security lines. We arrived at the airport at 10:30 for a 1:00 flight, and it was the perfect amount of time. Summary: Overall, we were highly impressed with Oasis of the Seas and would be glad to travel on this great ship again in the future!

Excellent cruise! Top-notch Royal Caribbean experience.

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by KRtrumpet182

Dining: So many options! Food was great! I'll outline individual choices below.
Specialty restaurants: We didn’t dine at any of them.
Entertainment: The shows were EXCELLENT!
Frozen in Time was a real treat. The talented figure skaters are top notch.
Neighborhoods:
Itinerary and Ports:

KRtrumpet182’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

• Snorkeling
    We booked a sail and snorkel experience through the Shore Excursions Group and it was EXCELLENT! We snorkeled at two different reefs close by to the ships. We saw tons of fish and coral. The tour guides were phenomenal. During the 3-hour excursion, we snorkeled for an hour. We were also given pineapple and sodas/water prior to snorkeling and margaritas, tequila, and chips with guacamole after were finished snorkeling. Highly recommended!
    View All 421 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Hilton Rose Hall
    Booked an all-inclusive day at Hilton Rose Hall. It was excellent. We had approximately 4 hours at the resort. Lunch was great (3 different restaurant options). The pools were beautiful. The lazy river was incredible! Swim-up and walk-up bars were very convenient. Drinks were nice! Highly recommended for a relaxing, fun day.
    View All 12 Hilton Rose Hall Reviews
  • Labadee
    Gorgeous port. We opted for Nellie's Beach. It was beautiful with peaceful water and a nice view of the ship. A beach attendant brought us chairs. He brought other guests blue canopies for shade. These canopies ended up obstructing the views of everyone else behind them, which was extremely unfortunate. The beach got crowded by 9 AM, so crowded that it became difficult to walk to the water from your chair. I walked to other beaches and they were less crowded. For whatever reason, Nellie's Beach was just very popular that day. Watch out for the native Haitians in the artisan market, who call out to you from half a mile away trying to get you to stop by their stand to make a purchase. ("Hey! Red shirt! White hat! Hey! Come here!")
    View All 1,780 Labadee Cruise Port Reviews