3. Caribbean Princess
We recently returned from a 4 day trip on the Caribbean Princess to Cozumel, out of Ft. Lauderdale. This trip was to celebrate our 5th anniversary and it couldn’t have been a better gift from my wonderful husband. All I ever wanted to do was to cruise on a Princess ship because I wanted to be Julie the cruise director when I was a kid and to say I was excited was an understatement. My husband and I are in our forties and really aren’t the nit picking type so don’t read this if you are looking for me to complain about a little rust or worn carpet. I don’t care, that’s not what we were there for. We were there to relax and have fun, and that mission was accomplished. This is our 6th cruise-first on Princess and first out of Ft. Lauderdale (we live closer to Miami). We arrived at the port around 1:30pm and were in our stateroom by 2:00pm. We had the mini suite E731 and let me tell you-best room ever IF you like private time on your balcony to enjoy the sunset, the moonlight or any time in between. It’s twice the size of a regular balcony and by turning your chairs, you have a perfect view of the back of the ship as you cruise along. Our room steward, Joselito was just wonderful – the room was always clean, yet he was never in our way. So—here’s my biggest complaint of the entire cruise and it’s a big one—THE BED. The bed is horrendous—yes horrendous! First- the bed vibrates as if you “put a quarter in it”. That is the downside of the back of this ship. You could live with that if the mattress wasn’t so dang hard. It was so hard, my shoulders blades felt like they had bruises on them from digging into the mattress. They have “egg crates” available—but call as soon as you book the room to order it as they are “reserved” quickly. I would bring one onboard, myself, for the next trip if they were out of them because the room and balcony were awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the casualness of the ship, to be honest. I liked being able to roam the piazza at any time and get specialty coffees, Panini’s and pastries. The food was terrific down there. We only ate in one of the dining rooms, food was good, service was great. We ate in Sabattini’s and the Crown Grill and both are very, very well worth the extra price. I asked for a surf and turf in Crown grill and I got an 8 oz filet with 4…yes 4 lobster tails—all de-shelled for me. Scrumptious! For NFL fans—they show the Thursday night games in one of the lounges and Sunday games on the big screen by the pool. You only get the 3 games of the week on Sunday, but you get your “fix”. Our stop in Cozumel was fantastic. We took the “off the beaten path” trip that took us to the Mayan ruins in Coba. WOW!! To start with, we left the ship, walked to the other side of the dock and grabbed a high speed ferry. Took 40 minutes to get to Playa Del Carmen where you walk about ½ mile to get to the bus. Board the bus for a 45 minute ride to Tulam. Stop for 20 minutes to shop. Back on the bus for 45 more minutes to Coba. Great trip and a great tour leader. You will get a stop in Tulam to shop. Get your own snacks when they stop in Tulam or before you leave Coba because the lunch they provide for you ride back is GROSS! It was supposed to be a ham and cheese sandwich. It’s like a 5” in bun, slopped with butter, some poor quality “ham type” product and a piece of cheese that was 1/2” by 1” long (if you were lucky—mine didn’t have any cheese at all). I ate the lays-type chips and tossed the sandwich. Our tour guide Carlos was cool and to make up for the lunches, he does stop on the way home and gets a bunch of fresh corn tortillas made by a local mayan place for everyone. The ruins at Coba are very cool-climbing up was a trip and climbing down even crazier. I’m afraid of heights and while it made for an interesting day, it was also one of the most exhilarating adventures I’d ever been on and the view was ultimately fantastic! Because the trip to get there is so long, your time there is limited but worth every minute. There are tons of quiet spaces around the ship to relax but plenty to do as well. The guy who plays acoustic guitar in the piazza during the late afternoon/early evening hours was great…and nice to have someplace to chill. We did check out the Fusion night club and while not our music or scene, it was a fun club for the younger people on the ship. The demographics of this cruise line consist of a little older folks than RCL and NCL’s and the prices are a little higher but you get a little more class and elegance. Will we go again? Oh hell yes, the minute it returns to the Ft. Lauderdale port.

Don't let the other reviews scare you - Great Time!

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by YagsFL

YagsFL’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Cabin E731
The balcony is awesome, the bed is not so good - very hard and vibrates constantly when boat is at full speed. So
  Caribbean Princess Deck Plans