• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2014
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

I recently took the reposition cruise on the Briliance from Boston to Tampa with stops in the South Caribbean.

THE GOOD: The ship itself is very nice and the public rooms are beautiful and welcoming in their design. The size and guest capacity of this ship is just the right size for the type of cruise I enjoy. The ship's staff was fabulous. Everyone on the ship, from the bartenders, waiters, Windjammer staff, room stewards, desk clerks, store workers to the amazing entertainment crew were fabulous. They smiled and talked to us and made us feel like they were really happy that we were there and were happy to help us in any way. It was a welcome change from some of the larger ships we've been on lately. The cruise director, Clo, is the best one I've ever seen on any ship we've been on. You can tell she really loves her job and she's very good at it.

THE BAD: The toilets stopped working on our first day for about 8 hours and then worked sporadically for the next several days. All of the public restrooms smelled like urine for the entire trip and we just tried to avoid using those. Our friend's room flooded and they were displaced for a couple of days to an inside room. The ship obviously has some plumbing issues. The food overall was not very good. Breakfast is exactly the same every single day and most items were cold and tasteless. I tried twice to get an omelet but after waiting 15 minutes each time, I just gave up and never tried again. Lunch was also exactly the same items every single day. The only thing that changed was the type of meat they put in the Curry sauce and the type of soup. Dinners were okay but I would say we only had two meals that I was classify as "Good". The rest ranged from inedible to okay. We ate once in Giovannis and that was better than the dining room but the meat was served almost raw so they had to take it back and cook it again. Everything else served there was very good.

Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin E1

The room was fine but the bathroom was very small. Everything in the room was the standard cruise ship fare.....Decent bed, lots of closet and drawer space, nice balcony. The only downside was the bathroom. It's very old fashioned compared to most ships these days. It's very small and the shower stall is the old, tiny plastic shower stall with the curtain that sticks to you during the shower and allows the floor to get soaking wet. I really wondered how a lot of the people on that ship were even able to shower. I"m an average size person and could hardly move in there. Many people today are huge and I don't know how they showered all week.

Port Reviews

St. Kitts (Port Zante)

St. Kitts was a bit of a disappointment. I was not aware that you could not walk off the ship and go exploring on your own like most ports so we ended up just staying there at the dock and going to the shops and just returning to the ship. The people trying to get you into a cab or on a sightseeing trip were so aggressive and just in our face so much that it made it hard to walk around. We were warned by the ship's staff not to walk around in St. Kitts or St.Lucia for fear of being robbed. If you're going to St.Kitts, you should book an excursion with the ship or you probably won't end up doing anything. But, DO NOT do the St.Kitts train. I had two different groups of people tell me how much they regretted that excursion. They said the train moves very slow and rocks side to side, which made some of them sick and they wanted to get off after 10 minutes. No one I talked to like the train.

previous reviewnext review