3. Quantum of the Seas
First, let me start out by saying I was not expecting a problem free cruise. I knew that this was a maiden voyage and there could be hiccups, but this ship was not ready for passengers. Embarcation: This actually started out great. We stayed in a Jr Suite so we were in group A with no appointment time. We grabbed a cab from our Hotel at about 10:30 and were at the pier 15 minutes later. We went through the Suite line for security and then were dumped into the big waiting room. We didnt see many people checking passengers in and were wondering what to do, but luckily a very insistent and persistent woman near me, grabbed an employee and demanded to be checked in right away. I decided to stand in line behind her since she seemed to get attention. As she was getting checked in, they were calling the boarding for first Passengers. It only took a few minutes to complete checking her in, and we were also checked in quickly. My photo was OK, but my partners was not, and he had to have a new one. Anyway, we were quickly on the ship, so at the point, things were going well for us We went straight to our cabin and grabbed our cards and wrist bands and everything was going well. Our steward stopped by to make sure we found the bands. We then went up to Windjammer for lunch. First problem encountered was no tea or Lemonade. The employees didnt think there would be any. But that was just a minor bump. We had our lunch and explored the rest of the ship. Everything went well that afternoon. We ended up going to the seaplex and we were in the second round of the bumper cars. We went out to the NorthStar and we were in the first group of passengers to go up that afternoon. We went over to RipCord and ended up getting with the final group before the muster drill. All was going very well Muster drill went off without a hitch. They didnt show that video this time, i guess they changed things again. That night for dinner, we ate at American Icon. When we showed up, we were told that we would need to be sitted with another couple. Not what I was hoping for, but they turned out to be nice people. It was at that dinner, that I started to hear that things did not go so well for other people. They were telling us about all the problems that they had during embarkation and problems in the pier, etc. This was news to us as everything had gone mostly smooth so far. The Cruise On morning two we showed up at the Meet and Mingle which was very nice. It was something to see the room so packed. The ship staff was all there and were good about apologizing for all the problems that had occurred (again for us, at that point we didnt have problems). They mentioned that we would be getting an OBC and a future credit, which was all great news. It was also announced that the weather was too rough and that the Mamma Mia performances were being postponed. I know that the Cruise line cant affect the weather, and I don't blame them for any of that, but it did make it harder to enjoy some other things. I also got what I think was a mild case of seasickness and didnt have much appetite for much of day 3 or 4. Overall, the Dynamic Dining was OK. I was dissappointed though because I thought that there was too much emphasis on seafood. 4 of the 7 Silk entrees were seafood, half of the Chic entrees were seafood. I really wasnt in the mood for seafood, so i felt my options were limited. Overall, they also felt short staffed. This was not the customer service I was used to. Unfortunately, they also seemed to be out of a lot of the items that they had listed on the menus. Very frustrating The Specialty dining was very good. The Halibut (the seafood i did want) at Wonderland was amazing. The Pub board at Michaels was very nice. The food at Jamies Italian was really good (with great service) and the steak at Chops was the best I have had in a long time. Bar Service was just so-so. They were probably out of more items than they had in stock. When you went to order most of their specialty cocktails, it was usually answered with a response that they couldnt make that as they didnt have the ingredients. I understand that this was the maiden voyage, but they did a very poor job of stocking the ship. The internet was a joke. It was nearly impossible to ever get connected to the wi-fi to even try to log on from our cabin (we were deck 13 by rear elevators). The few times we could connect, it was too slow to do anything. Overall, the internet access was so horrible that they credited everyone on the ship for all internet packages for the whole week. I know I have seen some comments on here about how people had great luck, but I didnt meet anyone on board who had good access. The IT systems were a mess. on Day 3, they seemed to have tried something which wiped out a bunch of my dining reservations from my planner. When I went to guest services, they pulled out a hard printed copy that showed the reservations were still there in the restaurant system, they just werent in the Royal iQ planner. The ship also seems to have quite a few mechanical problems. There were usually 2 elevators out on each side of the rear elevators most of the cruise, and not just during bad weather. I did get stuck in the elevator for about 15 minutes during one of the breakdowns. I know a lot of people were complaining that the climate control was not working in their cabins, but it did seem to work in ours when I tried it. When I tried to do the bumper cars a second time, they had a lot of problems. None of the cars were holding a charge very long and over 7 groups they dropped from 8 cars down to 2 cars and then it was just too sad to try and continue with just 2 bumper cars so they had to cancel the rest of the session. I was very unimpressed with the Royal Theater. It seems to be too small, and the sight lines from the balcony are terrible. During Mamma Mia we could only see about half the stage. We have actually already seen the show before so I used this to mostly enjoy the music. Two70 is one exception. This area really is something special. I greatly enjoyed the Starwater show and it is something very unique at sea. The area is also very nice during the day when all the windows are opened up. I think that this is going to be a highlight of the ship As for the Northstar, I am very glad I got to do it in Southampton. I know that some people waiting in line over 3 hours to do it during the week, and I know that some others never got a chance. I am also glad I got to do the Bumper cars that first day while most people were still boarding, otherwise I probably never would have been able to do them either I was also a bit disappointed with the onboard activities. We had 2 cruise directors onboard and there was a lot less going on this sailing than on my previous Transatlantics. There was no Quest show, no Love and marriage show, etc. Overall, just a lot less activities Disembarking This was only my second time at Port Liberty, but like the last time, it was chaos. We were in a very early group (10) and we scheduled to start leaving the ship from 7:45 to 8. Well, it seemed that half of the ship self-disembarked which may have messed things up. Anyway, we were called from the Two70 at about 8:40, so I was thinking that maybe we wouldnt be too late. However, we stood on the ship by exit for a good 10-15 minutes, Then we stood on the gangway for a good 10-15 minutes. Then we were held up before the luggage hall for another 10-15 minutes, so it was after 9:30 before we even got to the line for CPB. When we left the building, there was chaos outside too. Nobody seemed to know where to direct anyone. There was a very long time for taxis, but the dispatcher seemed to have abandoned her post. It was about 9:50 and I was starting to get nervous as we had an 11:50 flight. I ended up buying spots on a Royal run shuttle that got us to the airport by about 10:20. I really don't see myself wanting to ever sail out of Port Liberty again. Overall: The ship is pretty and the new items are neat, but this was really more than a shakedown cruise. The ship was not yet ready for passengers. I am glad that Royal compenstated us, and I will be putting my future cruise credit to use next year, but I think it will be a long time before I trust Royal to sail on a new ship

The Not Ready for Prime Time Ship

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by smoosh21

Embarcation:
The Cruise
Disembarking
Overall:

smoosh21’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas price drops

A nice room over all. I like the styling and thought that there was plenty of closet space. the Junior Suite did seem smaller than the Jr Suite on the Radience class ships by quite a bit. I liked the shower a lot, including the overhead rain shower.
  Quantum of the Seas Deck Plans