3. Splendour of the Seas
Embarkation from Galveston: Getting on the ship was so easy. We were through the lines and on board within about 15 minutes. What I found amazing is that we had two ladies in the line next to us that didn't bring a passport or birth certificate. The cruise line would not let them board. The other surprising thing was that our luggage got in our staterooms within an hour of leaving it on the port. The worst part about getting on the ship was Houston traffic. Make sure you leave at least an extra hour. I heard people say that it took two hours just from the airport to get to the pier in Galveston. Rooms My husband and I traveled with our two teens and had inside cabins on the 8th deck. We had cabins right next door to one another. We learned not to share as they stay out later and get up earlier than we care too. The cabins were large interior and were nicely laid out. Tons of cubbies for our stuff. They also had the new bedding which was a pleasant change from Princess and Disney. Our steward John was fantastic. I think it makes a big difference when you tip yourselves versus having the cruise line assess you. I think you get better service. Our room was always clean and he was super fast. Ship The Splendour looked really great. It is a mid size ship so everything was easy to get to. The public areas were pretty and I thought the windjammer buffet was extremely attractive with all its windows. The dining room was a little cheesy in my mind, velour on the seats was not all that comfortable with a skirt on. The atrium bar was nice and they also had the top hat lounge which was split between smoking and non smoking and seemed well ventilated. They had a nice ship bar, the Schooner but it always reeked of smoke to me. The pools was very nice, but they only had one pool bar. They also had a indoor pool but it was always full of small children as it was really windy at the outdoor pool. The pool games were fun as was the line dancing. Entertainment I have cruised with Princess and Disney. This ship's entertainment was much better than Princess, not as good as Disney. The theatre was very nice and they dancers were good. They also had some gauchos the last night that were very good. We did the Quest and that was really fun. Overall, I thought the entertainment was above average. Food Buffet food was good, a little bland. The dining room was very good with plenty of selections. They had beef tenderloin that was very good as well as lobster. Stay away from the steaks. The hamburgers in the solarium were also pretty bad. Ports of Call In cozumel it was very windy and all the dives were cancelled. We had chosen to take the tour to Excaret and really enjoyed that. Well worth the money in our minds. In costa Maya we did the massages, beer and beach. Can't beat that. Disembarkation: Once again it was super easy, we were off boat and through customs by 8:30. We would do Royal Caribbean again we were sad to hear that this boat after going to Europe will be stationed in Brazil. They are bringing a Voyager size boat to Galveston and it will go out for a week. We got some pricing, and it was 3X as much. Probably won't do that. You have to remember when there are four people that your tipping even on a 5 day cruise runs about 270, plus excursions, drinks etc. We always end up spending about an extra $1,500. We had a great time though.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean