3. Quantum of the Seas
This, at first, is going to sound like a negative review, but make no mistake, in spite of the numerous glitches, the Quantum of the Seas is an amazing ship and the much-hyped “WOW” is an understatement. My wife and I are experienced cruisers, (this is cruise number 30) in our late 50’s who have been looking forward to this cruise for a year. I have followed its construction and we could hardly wait to get aboard. While writing this review in my head before actually putting pen to paper, I contemplated ignoring the numerous glitches that overwhelmed many of us. These glitches, however annoying and irritating, do not affect how future cruisers will sail. They are a product of a brand new ship with all sorts of never-before-seen technology. Bugs in the systems are to be expected. If I don’t mention them, perhaps my review would be trivialized as invalid, as though my head were in the sand. We experienced all sorts of problems; embarkation was a disaster. Nothing close to the scan and walk-on as touted. It took over an hour to get on-board. But when you get on this ship, it will not be out of Southampton, a terminal clearly unready to handle this. Our luggage was missing for 11 hours. The Luggage tracking system didn’t work so well. The robot bartenders at the Bionic Bar didn’t work so well either, but they didn’t charge you for drinks. These will both be super-cool when the bugs are worked out, by the time you’re on board. The POS system on board was sometimes down, so if you went to buy something they sometimes could not and did not charge you. The heralded “wristbands” were not in the room like they were supposed to be, you had to get them from Guest Relations. Even getting a room key was a challenge! Ours wasn’t where it was supposed to be. The queue at the Guest Relations Desk was often outrageously long, certainly indicating even more problems that we did not personally experience. I admit that the first day on this ship was easily the most trying day on board any ship, any cruise line, any time, anywhere. I didn’t have my head in the sand. There were many issues, but I know RCCL very well and I am therefore certain that this is all very short-lived. Even before boarding, we had already booked a second voyage on this ship for February. We are certain that by then, the bugs will long be squashed and we will sail into beautiful Caribbean weather. On Day 2 , we received a very nice letter from RCCL apologizing for the catastrophes of the previous day as well as compensating us monetarily in a way that I and virtually every other passenger that we encountered, considered to be more than fair. I’m done with the negatives. Dinner the first night was at Silk. A stunning meal, not to be missed. The dining room is spectacular. Dynamic Dining is an interesting twist on the typical cruise dining format. There has always been a main dining room with an ever-changing menu. We would always visit the dining room early in the afternoon to get a glimpse of that evening’s menu. If it was not particularly appealing to us, we would opt for a different dining venue, perhaps a for-fee dining experience that evening. The restaurants on-board the Quantum always have the same menu. But this works perfectly. If you’re up for Asian, Silk is the choice and it’s better than if the MDR had Asian fare on a particular night. In that case, they would probably have a couple of Asian preparations, or oriental twists on basic items. Not so at Silk. You are immersed in Asian culture, complete with elaborate and lavish décor. An amazing experience, not to be missed. We attended the premier of the Starwater show. Words cannot describe this show. Interestingly, we were warned about possible technological hiccups before the show started and there were none. This show is far beyond what words can describe. If this show were on land, a ticket would cost $150-$200. I apologize for being at a loss for words to describe this show. All I can say: See it!! WOW! On the morning of Day 2, we had breakfast at the Marketplace (lido deck buffet). It was very good. Then we walked around evaluating our other choices for the rest of the week. Celebrity chef Devin Alexander has a great place on Deck 14. Finally some imaginative choices for breakfast! Furthermore, she was on board and it was a pleasure to meet her and chat for a bit…and buy her cookbook. We had a few choices for lunch. The marketplace had a great selection of food. It looked great, but we ate at Jamie’s Italian for this meal. Is it ok to say “WOW” again? What a great meal and great atmosphere! Cruise ships seem to have become less about the food over the past few years. I understand that. Not everyone is about fancy dining; some people are just “meat and potatoes” people. But for us, the food aboard this ship is heaven on earth. Inspired, imaginative and creative. Wonderland is actual proof of this; great service, stunning cuisine. The food comes to you a bit faster than I prefer, but they tell you that this is how the kitchen operates. It’s a bit unusual, but you certainly cannot claim slow service. Still, the meal takes two hours and it is amazing. The Music Hall is a terrific live band venue. A group called Horizon – clearly aimed at our baby-boomer demographic - is excellent as was the Beatles cover band, Beatle Maniacs. We had lunch at the Marketplace on Tuesday after sleeping in. I was amazed at how good the food was! Especially the prime rib! I think that I had a pound of it! Dinner at the Grande – the formal dining room – was a bit disappointing on 2 levels. First of all, it is very surprising to me that formal isn’t formal. I admit that dressing for dinner isn’t for everybody, but if you go to a formal event, men wear tuxedos. Sorry folks, suit and tie is semi-formal, not formal, and a tee-shirt and jeans… really? If it is a formal dining room, enforce the rules. If it isn’t, that’s fine too, just don’t pretend. I would have bet that the servers would be in formal attire. Nope. Well dressed, yes, but not formal. Secondly, the food, while good, isn’t over the top. I really expected more. This venue features Lobster Bisque, Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Thermidor. It is equivalent to formal night on a regular cruise ship. The good news however, is that this is a free restaurant, meaning that you can have Maine lobster for free, every night, on the Quantum of the Seas. That’s not so bad! The Music Hall is a terrific concert venue. The feel is entirely different than the standard band-that-plays-in-the-room-that-also-does-comedy-and-bingo room. Great stage, great layout. It took until Wednesday for the ocean to calm down. It had been very rough seas for the first few days. No worries as far as you’re concerned as the Caribbean will be relatively smooth. We had dinner at the American Icon restaurant on Wednesday night. If you aren’t an adventurous diner, this will be your favorite….turkey dinner, steak dinner, mac & cheese. This dining room has gorgeous murals of American scenery like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite. A word about our room steward… When I have read negative reviews on Cruise Critic, it seems that even the worst reviews by the most critical critics still say that their room steward was great. We had a room steward that always cleaned our room and threw in the occasional towel animal, but that’s it. If I were to somehow sequence every room steward that we’ve ever had from best to worst, he would be the worst, not because he did anything wrong, but because he didn’t do anything extra. It was a bit odd. In the past, on any line, the stewards always tried to be part of your vacation by doing just a little bit extra, even if its just remembering your name or opening your door for you. If he is the “worst”, its hardly because he was bad, just noticeably different and somewhat invisible. In his defense, when we got to the pier, we found that we had been upgraded from an inside cabin (we wanted to check out the virtual balcony) to a balcony stateroom. He didn’t get any information about us. He had no idea that we were Emerald level and that we were therefore entitled to certain gifts and amenities. He felt that he was blindsided a bit. Regardless, this did not affect our time on the Quantum in any way. We were in room 7602. This is a balcony stateroom that is the largest and best room we’ve ever had, complete with more closet space and storage than we have ever seen. The prospect of land-speed internet access was an exciting feature, but it wasn’t what I expected – at least not yet. That said, it is much faster and much less expensive than Wi-Fi on any other ship. It is supposed to be fast enough to stream video, FaceTime and apps…no way (yet). It was often down and never close to that fast, but, it is much faster than free hotel Internet access and probably 100 times faster than regular cruise ship Wi-Fi which is around dial-up speed. As for the cost…maybe when it is 100% reliable the cost will be much higher, but with my Emerald discount (maybe 10-15%?) it cost $161 for continuous connection – unlimited Internet access. That buys about 5-6 hours on other ships. Very cool. The Chef’s Table was excellent, but by no means the best we’ve experienced. I liked it more when it was an exclusive event. Carnival does a better job, surprisingly enough, with their unique settings (we’ve has the meal in the disco on the Miracle and in the kitchen on the Dream) and integrated entertainment. The Quantum has a separate room for the Chef’s Table, and they have it nightly. It seems to have lost its exclusivity. It comes highly recommended (we have done about 10 of them on 4 different lines), but I can’t be sure that I would do it again on RCCL and it is not the top dining experience on the Quantum. Wonderland probably is, but all dining experiences have been very good to excellent. Having breakfast in the American Icon dining room was great. The selection is a cut above the standard breakfast fare and the service was very fast. You probably don’t go on a cruise ship to shop – at least not to shop the shops on board – but it is definitely worth mentioning that the stores on board are very upscale: Cartier, Bvlgari and many more, not to mention the “standard” upscale stores that sell fine jewelry and fine watches. I don’t board to buy a $15,000 watch, but its nice to know that you can and its fun to look. My wife and I do enjoy the theater and Las Vegas shows, but have never seen Mama Mia! until now and I can tell you that it is easily the best show on any ship, presented in uncut, unedited Broadway style over 2 ½ hours. Great story, great cast, great performance and a great venue. And the seats would easily cost $150-$200 on land. We saw it twice, for free. And the same goes for Starwater…twice, not $200, free. The new best reason to cruise. We enjoy being in beautiful surroundings, and I can assure you that the Quantum is the most beautiful ship ever built. It is far from a gaudy beauty, it is an elegant and sophisticated beauty. Every room is stunning in its own way. We think that the NCL Breakaway is beautiful, as is the Carnival Breeze. This ship tops both of those, and that isn’t an easy feat. Looking ahead at what the Quantum of the Seas is poised to offer; cutting edge technology, spectacular shows, food choices that range from the most basic (the catering truck in the Seaplex, pizza at Sorento’s) to the sophisticated (imaginative cuisine at Wonderland), this is the ship of dreams. We helped to put the finishing touches on her as she transforms from the Lady in Waiting to the most magnificent of sailing vessels. This was the first voyage, by the first ship in a new class of ships. It was not ready for prime time. There were over 100 IT professionals on board to fix the glitches, on the fly. You could see the progress that they were making every day. Things that didn’t work yesterday, worked on the next day. Did this ruin our time? Absolutely not! We feel as though we helped to build her and are proud to have been among the first to sail on the greatest ship on earth. We are already booked to return on February 2nd. That should say it all.

Is the Quantum the Ship of Dreams??

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by Tailwind1

I’m done with the negatives.

Tailwind1’s Full Rating Summary