3. Brilliance of the Seas
Recently returned from our Canada/NE cruise on Brilliance of the Seas out of Boston. This was an anniversary cruise for my husband and I, both in our 40's, to have a relaxing trip without the kids. This was ideal for us as we are about 40min from Boston, so very easy on and off ship. Arriving at terminal in Boston and getting on was a breeze, arrived around 11 and were on the ship and exploring in no time. Beautiful ship, well maintained, great size I feel, haven't done one of the larger ships yet but the idea of cruising with 6000 passengers seems like it would be overwhelming. This cruise was clearly for the 65+ crowd and it showed in activities and entertainment offered. We were among the youngest on ship, but again made for a relaxing cruise. CABIN Our cabin, 7506, was great, nice and clean an our room steward Simon was very nice and always kept it clean. Bathroom was small and shower was tiny, not that I need a large shower but had a hard time shaving. It's a small circle shower area and was just enough for us, if you are a larger person you'll have a hard time. Bed was very comfortable, tons of storage for everything. Not too much noise from theatre below, sometimes could hear the music. Also, this cabin says it's an obstructed view, the only thing I could tell why it was because window is set back a bit further from the actual siding of the ship. No obstruction I could see. And on the map it looks like you're right next to a set of stairs, but it's crew stairs and we never heard anything from it. DINING We never made to the main dining, we chose My Time dining but every time we went by dining room there was a line waiting to be seated. And we prefer to not dress up for dining, we like to be casual and comfortable in our jeans on vacation. We mainly ate in the windjammer café instead. The lay out is awful, because there's not set beginning or end to each food station, people would walk aimlessly about and just walk right in and out of lines. Again, people can be rude but just the lay out didn't lead to a clear path of where to go. Food was OK, never changed though. Same things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not much variety at all. Had an egg station for breakfast where you could get eggs made anyway you like, that was good. Lunch and dinner had pizza station where you make you're own pizza and they cook it. Dinner had a stir fry station every night, which I enjoyed. But never any variety to foods offered, desserts as well weren't that different. Did not like that you had to ask for teas or coffee, there are 2 coffee/tea stations near by but not in windjammer that you can make you're own. Also, they have drinks already pre-poured for you to grab. Had many cups lined up uncovered and poured out who knows how long ago, just thought that was unhealthy. Did try the Park Café which is in the solarium. They have a few sandwiches, snacks premade behind a counter you have to ask for. I didn't care for the 2 sandwiches I had, my husband only liked the cheese panini sandwich they had. Also there's a station where someone makes you a salad but you can just walk a few feet to windjammer and make your own so I didn't understand the point of that. We did go to IZUMI and it was FANTASTIC!! Service was great and food was excellent!! It's a shame it's hidden at the back of the ship, hard to get to. The night we went it was pouring and the only way to get to it is by walking on deck outside but a waiter meet us as we were getting ready to walk outside and he brought us through the crew passage so we wouldn't get wet, they did this for everyone coming and going that night. Can't say enough good thing about food and service there. We also did room service and was disappointed they don't offer meals from main dining room they claim to on website. Didn't not see a disclaimer saying only available on select ships when I saw that you could order off main dining menu. But food was good, burger and pizza was better there than at buffet. ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT This cruise was clearly a 65+ crowd and it showed in the activities offered and the night life. My husband and I are not crazy party people but if we were, we wouldn't have found anything on this cruise. They latest we stayed out was around 11ish watching karaoke that had 5 people get up to sing. They had 2 pool tables on board that are self-leveling so we played pool a lot. The cruise director was non-existent, did not see or hear her hardly at all. We did a cruise on NCL and throughout the day you'd her the cruise director make morning announcements, talk about up coming activities, and was just always visible. Hardly ever heard any announcements at all on this cruise, missed not hearing what the weather was going to be like in the next port, or what activities shouldn't be missed. We did try to go to a couple of the shows but they were not that good I felt. And I felt they really let the passengers down when they had their acrobatic act get canceled. I totally understand they had to cancel because we were in a nor'easter but clearly they knew well before performance that it was going to be scratched, felt hey should have made that announcement. They have this act in the main atrium of the ship so there's like 7 floors of people huddled around the small openings trying to get a peek. They had dancers and a singer come out, perform one song and dance with everyone jammed along railings trying to get a look, then they say aerial act is canceled due to bad weather causing ship to rock, understandable, but that was it! They walked away. They had all these people right there, the least they could have done was dance a few numbers. All in all a very quiet cruise. Every crew member we saw always said Hi and had a smile to offer. Although it was a nice cruise ship not sure if I'd go on RCL again. I like the more casual feel NCL has and the activities and entertainment they have to offer. Maybe it was due to older crowd, they geared everything towards that but don't know if I'd want to take the chance with taking my kids. And again, not a fan of formal nights etc.

For the older crowd-but relaxing

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by Redrobin23

CABIN
DINING
ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT
Redrobin23’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas price drops

Our cabin, 7506, was great, nice and clean and our room steward Simon was very nice and always kept it clean. Bathroom was small and shower was tiny, not that I need a large shower but had a hard time shaving. It's a small circle shower area and was just enough for us, if you are a larger person you'll have a hard time. Bed was very comfortable, tons of storage for everything. Not too much noise from theatre below, sometimes could hear the music. Also, this cabin says it's an obstructed view, the only thing I could tell why it was because window is set back a bit further from the actual siding of the ship. No obstruction I could see. And on the map it looks like you're right next to a set of stairs, but it's crew stairs and we never heard anything from it.
  Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans