3. Royal Princess
Can't believe I sailed on the Royal for the 3rd time after the first encounter on the Royal but it was for the itinerary. I was traveling with a travel agent friend who doesn't cruise much. Can't say the ship is bad (it is beautiful) but there were little things that kept coming up. Room Steward said this was his last cruise so service was obviously less than great. Being an Elite passenger, you know what to expect when you come into your room. So far so good until I looked for the Elite evening listing of the Cocktails/Appetizers. It's always a time my husband and I enjoyed winding down. No list. Walked around with my friend to show her the ship - then stopped at passenger services and asked if they had the list for the Elite cocktail hour. "Oh, we don't do that any more!" she said. OK, took her at her word. No laundry bags or coupon book available but didn't need them right away. There was only one body lotion too for 2 women! 3rd night my friend and I went out early and walked past the Vista Lounge. Imagine my surprise when we walked in and there was the Elite Cocktail/Appetizer evening set up. Went to passenger service and all they could say was "sorry" and gave me the list for the rest of the cruise. Said she would report it to Captain Circle Hostess but didn't take my room number. Talked to the Captain Circle Hostess myself the next day and she was not happy so did give us a couple of free drink coupons. Night before formal night, put out list on the door for the canapés we wanted for the next evening at 5:00. That night we came back to our room and no canapés. Found our room steward and he said he would deliver them "right away!" 6:00 - no canapés, 6:30 none. At 7:00 I called passenger service and she told me they didn't have a record of me ordering anything. Said steward may have forgotten to turn the request in BUT she would send some to us right away. 7:20 we received our canapés. Went for dinner etc etc. Came back to room about 9:45 and we had another order of canapés. A little warm though. Later passenger service said that person probably couldn't read my handwriting - not smart to blame me and I have very good handwriting!!! The afternoon we came back from Boston, we decided to eat at Alfredo's. It was a little after 5:30. There were 2 other tables seated and both of them were eating their dinners. We ordered 2 salads and 2 different pizzas. Our salads were served. My friend and I spent a long time talking and then realized our salad dishes hadn't been cleared. Finally someone came by, cleared our dishes and said our pizza would be served "soon". It was now 6:30. Alfredo's became very busy by that time and a waiter told us they were busy. We tried to find our waiter and ask about our pizza. No one seemed to respond. At 7:00 we got the attention of the maitre d, Luigi. We asked about our pizzas. He walked away and returned within 2 minutes with our 2 very dry pizzas. I commented to Luigi that this was not very good service. His response was "This is good service, you got your pizzas!!!" No sorry, no comment about the dry pizza. If this is good service, I wonder what bad service it. Twin bed was not as comfortable as a full size bed but realized after looking under the bed that the full size bed has a plump mattress pad - none on the twin. Did find a few Fruit Loops under the bed though! Enjoy the large area for the Horizon Court and Bistro. At times it gets a little confusing especially if you are with someone looking for their meal. Only complaint for breakfast was the omellette - no onions or mushrooms - both times got onions and mushrooms. One potential issue (and this was the first time it happened to me on the Royal) is that the TV's are positioned on the wall so when the TV is on in the next cabin, you can hear their TV. Our issue was that the people in the room next door only turned their TV on at midnight or 1am. The first night this happened, if I had known what channel they were tuned into, I wouldn't have had to have my sound on. After a half hour I called passenger service and they said they would call them. It took another 15 minutes before the TV was turned down but we could still hear it. One night the TV was on at 2am - not loud but still enough chatter and laughter to keep us awake. If there is one thing for passengers to understand - the TV needs to be turned way down at night. Personally I think this is a flaw for Princess although I do like the big screen TV. Just wish we could have CNN back - not Fox or MSNBC! Only tour that I was disappointed in was the bus ride through Acadia Park. Guide said buses can't stop so we just kept on driving. Would have liked to stop and see the coast line and other areas of the park. So just kept on driving with a very boring guide - of course he thought his jokes were funny but they weren't. Enjoyed the tour to Peggy's Cove. Even though it was in full fog, it was a very interesting place. We then drove to the cemetery where some of the Titanic victims were buried. Had seen it before with very few people around but this time there were several groups all trying to see the same thing. Glad I had been able to see it before. Would I sail again on the Royal? Again it would depend on the itinerary. The few things that happened could be perfect next time. But I wonder what my travel agent friend thought about Princess.

THIRD TIME NOT SO CHARMING !!!!

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Cruise XYZ

If this is good service, I wonder what bad service it.
Cruise XYZ’s Full Rating Summary