3. Royal Princess
This was our 21st Princess Cruise, our fifth Canada/New England Cruise. I have elite status with Princess and booked a BA balcony cabin last March. I drove to the Best Western off exit 5 and I287 in New Jersey the day before and we stayed the night. We had dinner at the Ruby Tuesday next to the motel and had breakfast at the motel prior to leaving for Red Hook at 11 AM on Saturday morning. We arrived at the port and parked the car at noon, checked the bags in and entered embarkation building after filling out our forms. Embarkation: We were directed to the handicap lane since I was carrying a cane. It only took us 10 minutes to get our cards and be on our way to the ship. We were in our cabin by 1 PM. Cabins: The cabin A443 (cat. BA) was attractively decorated and good sized for the price. The balcony, while good size and offers good privacy. The bath room was nice and we enjoyed the shower. Cabin service was efficient and unobtrusive. I got a free mini bar set up and we enjoyed it. Took advantage for the free laundry for elite members on one occasion. The 10% discount in the shops was used more than once. Public Areas: The public areas are nice and never feel crowded. The ship doesn't feel 142,000 grt. Enjoyed the small intimate bars. They had good shows on board and the comedians were great. The bars had a buy 5, pay for four beer special on the Lido bars. I got this all cruise long and put them in the cabin fridge. A bottle opener was in the room. There was plenty of activities to keep you busy all day including lectures and classes of all kinds. I went to the free wine tasting for elite members and enjoyed the library on board. You will not be bored on a Princess ship. Dining: We opted for anytime dining and after waiting in line the first night for what seemed forever, I wrote a nice letter to the Maitre d’hotel requesting a table near the door at 8 PM as my wife has a problem standing long times. We got a nice letter from the Maitre d’hotel and stickers for our cards with our table assignment which was table 215 in the Concerto dining room near the door at 8 PM/ Our waiter was excellent. We ate all our evening meals there and had good company every night. We went to open seating for breakfast in the Dining room every day when not on tour. The attendance in the main dining rooms was far less that capacity due to number eating in Lido. We requested tables with a short walk since my wife hurt her knee on the first tour. We had pizza several times for a snack. All the restaurants were nicely decorated and the food in all the Dining rooms was generally good, but not up to Celebrity standards. The food in the Lido was also good and we had breakfast there before tours and lunch when in port. Tours: We did tours in two ports. We did the Doris Duke mansion in Newport and the wife enjoyed it. We also did the whale watching in Bar Harbor and got money back as we saw no whales. We had a tour planned for St. John’s but they by passed the port due to bad weather. We did no tours in Boston and Halifax as we were there four times before and had seen it all. Disembarkation: This was smooth we did express walk off and were to meet in the Concerto dining room. We arrived at 8 AM expecting to leave at 8:45 AM and were told we could go right away. We were in our car and on our way by 8:20 AM. The trip home went smooth and we were home by 5 PM. We stopped only to use the rest rooms, get gas and have lunch at the Dutch Pantry at milepost 150 off I80 in Pennsylvania. We went to Denny near home for dinner and refilled the gas tank prior to going into the house for the night. Overall, I was satisfied with the cruise and have booked a Princess cruise for Alaska in the spring.

66th Birthday Cruise