3. Costa Victoria
Finally after some saving up I was finally able to take my mother on a cruise I promised her a whole year ago. We boarded the Costa Victoria in August and I have never seen my mom being so satisfied, she enjoyed the trip a lot. The price of the Costa Victoria cruise was also much cheaper than I expected. So the trip started with us taking a flight to Shanghai for embarking and of course we took advantage of this side trip and did some sightseeing around Shanghai for 2 days. The route that we chose was a cruise from Shanghai to South Korea, which could not have been more perfect for us as my mom have always enjoyed historical novels and visiting heritage museums and I could bring her to all those places so effortlessly. I also realized that it is so convenient if you have a credit card to pay for stuffs on the cruise so you do not need to bring a lot of cash. But even if you do not own a credit card, you could just use the Costa Card they give out to pay everything on cruise then pay at the end of the journey at the counter. So at the first day of the cruise, when we were waiting to embark, Costa staffs came around with a round of drinks for us while we wait. That’s so heartwarming! It is quite embarrassing but I have to admit that I don’t have the strongest sense of direction, probably inherited that from my mom; we got lost on the way to our cabin. Fortunately for us a staff was there to guide us to the door of our cabin. Thank you Nicola! At the end of the trip, I found out Nicola is the best staff on Costa Victoria(Clap) After we settled down, it was almost 2pm and that was when we realized that we have not had any breakfast that morning and we can hear our stomachs rumbling. We immediately got to our feet and decided to go the restaurant on Deck 11 first. There was not a huge variety of food to choose from, but the dessert was an amazing finishing touch to our breakfast/lunch! We went to other restaurants in the remaining days and we found a burger joint which serves excellent burgers!! In terms of on-board entertainment, there were mini performances by singers on Deck 5-7. My mom was a quiet and self-contained woman so we went to library to pick up some books instead. On a few mornings my mom would just lay by the pool side while I swim. Be sure to take with you a cardigan or a sweater when you were on the deck though, it could get quite chilly when you step out onto the deck at night. At night, my mom and I went to a paid-restaurant to have our dinner. All of a sudden, the music started and the staffs were dancing to it. We were totally surprised and were invited to join the staffs. We were a bit too shy to dance in public so we passed but the children there were not. We were amazed and impressed by the Italian culture. We were also surprised when we went back to our cabin on the 2nd night. There were a couple of super cute elephant dolls on our beds! How sweet Costa is! Really a big thank you and we appreciated for Costa staffs to make our days on cruise! I could still remember how cheerful and patient they were when they taught us the way, because both of us have no sense of direction.

Cruising with my mom