3. Freedom of the Seas
My DH and I set sail on Freedom of the Seas Oct 12, 2014 for the Western Caribbean. It was our 5th RCI cruise and our 13 overall. I was using a walker because my May 30 knee surgery had some problems and I was not back to walking without some aid. We got to the dock about 11:30 am. Embarkation was a breeze, because as soon as they saw me with a walker I was put in a wheelchair and whisked through the lines. Fastest we have ever gotten on a ship. Quickly we were up in the Windjammer and DH brought me an odd assortment of food even if we have been married 43 years. It was all good though. Dessert cookies were especially good especially the macaroons. I would have eaten them every day if I could have found them. They announced during lunch that all rooms were ready. Again the fastest we have ever been able to get in our rooms. Our room 9609 was a nice interior room. As soon as we got in the room and before the door closed Lloyd our room steward was there to introduce himself and see if we needed anything. We asked our beds be separated for more room and I need a sharpie container for me diabetic needles. We did as some cruise critics had advised and tipped some at the beginning for these extra requests. Went to explore some of the ship before dinner, as bags had not arrived yet. Really gorgeous ship, our largest to date, just looked down on the Promenade from elevators, since I was pretty tired. When muster was called, my walker put DH and I in Sorrento's bar. One glitch in cruise, no one scanned our Sea Pass, so it was thought we didn't show up and had to sign several sets of papers saying we did show up. We were assigned the Leonardo MDR and were at a table for 10. Everyone was fun to talk to, so each night we would rearrange seats to be able to talk to another couple. I enjoyed almost all the food they had, especially the prime rib, the best I have ever had. I love the cold fruit soups and had them when I could. Almost all the desserts I had were good, I had sugar-free about half the time and they were as good as the full calorie. So don't be afraid if you are on a diet or diabetic, they taste great. First day at sea seemed crowded as everyone was exploring and finding their favorite places. We explored some, and found 2 chairs in the shade, by the adult pool. Took a lovely siesta for a couple of hours. It is very quiet on that end, compared to the main pool and H2O zone. Day 2 Labadee, Haiti Got to ride down that long pier in a wheelchair, both ways. Took the tram to Columbus Cove and got 2 nice lounge chairs in the shade. I was not allowed in water over my knees because of another problem I was having, tried up to 3-4 inches but balance not the greatest. Had to settle for watching others and enjoying the scenery. One little Africa or African-American girl kept running in and out of the water to wipe her face. She was fun to watch, and her hair looked beautiful with the water on it, like she had diamonds in her hair. Buffet lunch was fine, I especially enjoyed the watermelon which was deliciously ripe and sweet. Day 2 not Falmouth, Jamaica Because of the hurricane in the Eastern Caribbean, Allure of the Seas got our place in Falmouth and we were assigned to Montego Bay. We had arranged a tour with Patrice Bailey on our own and wondered if she would show up. She did with Mark another member of her staff and we took a tour of Montego Bay (sorry about my spelling). We went up to Richmond House on top of a hill and really beautiful views of the city and bay. They had a bar there where we go a soda and some water. There was a pool up on top that you could swim in for $5.00, overlooking the bay on the terrace of the house. It was really hot, but I wanted to go to a craft fair. Don't go it you overheat as fast as I do, I didn't think straight and paid too much money for some items. DH was glad when I ran out. Day 3 Grand Cayman Didn't go ashore. We had been there 3 times before and DH didn't want me to try tendering with my walker. Finally went down the Promenade. Wished they would have had the ship pins, but did not get any in. Day 4 Cozemel (I give up on spelling tonight) Another too hot for me day, for we spent only about an hour shopping downtown. I did get a beautiful silver pendant with some kind of green stone inlay. Last day at sea, didn't seem as crowded, we found a breezy shady place on the deck about the pools, we were right above H2O zone, wished they had one for adults. Getting of the ship took longer than getting on, we weren't really in any hurry as we were spending another night in Florida at an airport hotel. I was going to walk off, but when I saw the line, I opted for a wheelchair. As nice tiny Chinese girl from Shanghai was trying to push me. Since I am overweight gave her a nice tip. Word of warning for anyone flying out of Orlando, if trying to refill your rental car, don't do it at Sun Gas on Semyonan (or something like that) at a Wendy's near a Cracker Barrel, their gas is $5.95 a gallon. Two blocks on it is regular prices for the area.

Cruising with a walker

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by hillbilly1

Day 2 Labadee, Haiti
Day 2 not Falmouth, Jamaica
Day 3 Grand Cayman
hillbilly1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas price drops

Actually 9609 was a nice size, had lots of places for clothes and toiletries. We had the beds separated because of my knee problems. Also they had put pod doors on the shower, much between than the clingy shower curtains used to be. Only problem with the room, is the water gets hot fast. We would come in to take and shower and I would immediately put my head under the faucet, because you got a minute of cold water that was it. Then the water got hot, I would turn it back and forth and finally find some very, very warm, but better than that very hot.
  Freedom of the Seas Deck Plans