Celebrity Summit Cruise Review

Celebrity Summit - Alaska

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Cory

• Sail Date: Jun 2006
  • Destination: Alaska

INTRO Me and my family traveled on the Celebrity Summit June 2006 and had so much fun. Let me start by saying vancouver is gorgeous and the most amazing city ever! Embarkation was a breeze, mainly because we had a suite and took us to the front of the line, even though the main line wasn't long either. Me and my sister stayed in a oceanview room with a balcony while my parents stayed in a sky suite, which was huge and very well furnished. Let me also start off by saying my mother hates cruises and picks on everything when we travel.

When we boarded the ship it was beautiful, we were guided to our rooms and sat on the balcony until while the ship started to leave. My mother noted that the carpet in her room was very dirty and old. I didn't care what as wrong with her carpet. The next day the carpet was pulled up (while we were in port) and re-upholstered. If that is not celebrity service i don't know what is. Fruit and other snack were in our room and our rooms were spacious and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was bigger than most with a bathtub and shower. Our balcony was enormous.

ENTERTAINMENT and the SHIP The ship itself is very beautiful and has many places to go. Unlike Carnival ships, the Celebrity Summit has much more subtle art, furniture, and lighting. There are not disco lights and neon everywhere! The entertainment on the ship was great! Some nights there were the broadway style shows, which we didn't go to, but we went to all the comedy shows and they were beyond hilarious. A big thing with my family is the gym, which was not very big but the spa was beautiful and amazing. The gym was small but the cardio machines were placed directly in the front windows of the ship, it was gorgeous.

FOOD Food on the ship was beyond great. The food was always fresh and well prepared. MAny restaurants including our favorite, sushi. The buffet was not crappy like they normally are. Many healthy foods are available. The main dining room is amazing. The back of the room is an enormous window that you can see everything as it passes you by.

PORTS I will be very brief with the ports (not in order): 1. Juneau- we were very disappointed with Juneau. Our (private) bike tour did not show up and the day was very cloudy, rainy, and cold. We decided to go to the tourist sites which were ok, nothing special. The town wasn't any special either. The only plus in mendenhall glacier and the skylift. 2. Skagway was one of my favorites, many things to do and small cute town. Take the white pass and yukon route railway to different destinations. We were the only ones to do the hiking (a 4 hour hike) it felt like forever. I think i burned off the buffet. 3. Hoonah(i think called icy strait point)- Hoonah was another one of our favorites. A small town in the middle of nowhere has an extremely small town and mountains surrounding you. We took a private tour away from the crowds and saw a large pod of whales and many seals and puffins and bald eagles. The town is nice and quaint. 4. Hubbard Glacier Cruising- The hubbard glacier is amazing and we were lucky enough to see a large part of it fall of. (which i guess is not a good thing) It was nice to sit on the balcony watching the glacier go by. 5. Vancouver(departure port)-There is too much to say about Vancouver. What an amazing city! Stay at the westin bayshore if possible. 6. Sitka-Sitka was a very very nice town, mainly touristy but lost of things to do. We went kayaking around the small islands in the harbour. The town has many good restaurants. 7. Anchorage/Seward- We took the sightseeing transfer train from the cruise dock in seward to the airport in anchorage. our flight wasn't until later that night so we spent the day in anchorage and had a blast. Great restaurants and we went to the zoo, which is nice.

Overall the cruise was an amazing experience and my mom couldn't find anything bad to say about it. She liked it and thought it was a great new experience for her, since shes never been on a cruise. The staff is amazing, food is great, and entertainment is above average. We did not do any of the shore excursions because we like to do those things by ourselves. But ours were great. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. All the ports were great except Juneau. For some reason our cruise did not go to ketchikan and instead went to sitka. But that was ok. I hear ketchikan is nice but nothing great. The only complaint we had was on the last night on our way to Seward, the seas were extremely rough and the waves must have been 50-75ft and the clinic ran out of all of their sea-sickness treatments. My mom is the only one who gets seasick but even we were getting seasick. It was pretty bad, lets just say we were happy to be in seward on land. Otherwise everything was excellent, i would definitely go on Celebrity again!

Cory 's Full Rating Summary