3. Royal Princess
I'm in my 70s and live in Brooklyn. I prefer to take trips from Red Hook and Cape Liberty. Manhattan is my third choice, and I'd rather not take a plane to the boat unless I'm going to Alaska. Embarkation: We got there early, and were able to get on board easily. There were 5 of us coming in two separate groups. 2 were told that your doorkey makes the electricity work, while 3 of us were not, and we figured the lights and TV would not be available until proper boarding time. Luckily, our friends got to their room quickly, and we didn’t spend too much time in the dark. Cabin: The rooms were SMALL. I’m used to a room with a sofa. There was non here, just a small upholstered chair. In the small area in front of the balcony was a dressing table on one wall, a cabinet holding the refrigerator, a chair for the dressing table, the upholstered chair, and a small round table. Any time you needed to get to something you had to move furniture. The toilet was tiny and the entrance about 4 inches above floor level. EASY TO TRIP. The shower was nice size. It had what looked like conditioner, and body wash. NO SHAMPOO, NO SHOWER CAP. 1 soap. Chocolate on the bed every night. No cute little towel animals. * My walker is heavy and bulky and I could not get it into the room unless I closed it. Luckily the room steward was very helpful here, and found a place where I could keep it. Dining: We had most meals at the buffet. Anybody who sails knows that if you have a group larger than 4, getting a table is a chore. *And finding one where you may park your walker makes it harder. As for the buffet itself, we had no complaints. We didn’t like all the food there, but there was enough diversity for us to make up healthy meals that tasted good. (I was surprised at how much lox was available.) Unfortunately, we never did figure out the rationale of where various dishes were put. Signage, what little there was, was inadequate. We ate at the 5th floor International Café once. A printout from Princess’ website says that there are no charges at this dining venue. Well, they serve espresso coffee and charge for that, and that’s not a problem. But they also charge for tea and coffee. When I showed the printout I was told that it was not free. When I complained at the service desk, no apologies, no checks with supervisors; just arguments that pointed at other services that were not free, like the Royal Tea. For dinner, we chose to go at our own choosing; 7:30pm each day. The first day we waited about an hour. After standing for some time (I sat on my walker, my friends were not so lucky), they gave us a device that notifies you that they’re ready. They refused to take reservations for the next day. On the second day we waited about half an hour, and still refused to take reservations. Luckily, our waitstaff were very nice, and eager to make our meal truly enjoyable. Our maitre de, on the second night took us to another person at the door, who was happy to make reservations for us at what became our table. Entertainment: Steve White, a comedian opened and closed. Playing the first and last nights. That was a very good thing. He was terrific. They were wise in choosing him. I didn’t get to the piano bar until the last night. My bad. He was very good and I enjoyed it. Sorry I didn’t make it before. It just started too late in the evening for me. Trips: In St. John and Halifax, we decided to take the pink bus tours, where you get on and off as you wish. We’d been assured that we didn’t need a reservation, and so when we got off at St John, we expected to be able to get on the bus. Well, no. they were fully booked. And so we prebooked for Halifax for both tours. *There is a place on the side of the bus were they store your walker. We didn’t get on and off, but enjoyed the sightseeing. The day was somewhat rainy, and though we’d loved to have gone to the gardens, it was not nice, and probably would have been too much walking for us. I’d do the pink bus again anytime. Disembarking: We were set to meet at the casino at 9:30. That’s when we got there, and the line to disembark had already started. We got out without a hitch. Would I go on another cruise on this ship? If the price was right and nobody else was doing it. *Accessibility

This Princess needs some work, including accessibility problems.

Royal Princess Cruise Review by BkTripper

Chocolate on the bed every night. No cute little towel animals.
*Accessibility

BkTripper’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Cabin A243
The rooms were SMALL. I’m used to a room with a sofa. There was non here, just a small upholstered chair. In the small area in front of the balcony was a dressing table on one wall, a cabinet holding the refrigerator, a chair for the dressing table, the upholstered chair, and a small round table. Any time you needed to get to something you had to move furniture.The toilet was tiny and the entrance about 4 inches above floor level. EASY TO TRIP. The shower was nice size. It had what looked like conditioner, and body wash. NO SHAMPOO, NO SHOWER CAP. 1 soap.Chocolate on the bed every night. No cute little towel animals. * My walker is heavy and bulky and I could not get it into the room unless I closed it. Luckily the room steward was very helpful here, and found a place where I could keep it.
  Royal Princess Deck Plans