3. American Spirit
I wanted to take my sons on an Alaskan cruise for the past 15 years. It finally came together this August. This was a once-iin-a-lifetime trip and we were all so excited. My sons, their wives, their child, my husband and I went on our first cruise on a "small ship". The American Cruise Line looked so great. When we turned in our paperwork, we each received a call asking if we needed anything special. We didn't ask but they offered a crib and we gladly accepted. My daughter-in-law has a gluten intolerance; they said no problem. We arrived in Juneau the night before to stay at the hotel that the cruise line arranged. They promised transportation. We waited over an hour for it. Had we not been told their was transportation, we would have taken a cab. By the time we realized this, there were no cabs. No crib for my grandson, even though it was promised multiple times. Food: It took three days and several conversations with the staff and chef to get the gluten free food. The food was fine, not excellent, not bad. I liked that they offered half portions, however, the portion size was inconsistent. My half portion was frequently the size of my husband's full portion. The rest of the trip was tainted by the shabby ship.  My room had not been completely cleaned from the previous passengers: dirty trashcans, counters and carpet. It took two more visits from staff to get it cleaned. The carpet was ripped and the mini blinds were broken so they wouldn't stay up. This was never repaired.The good news is that the rooms were roomy with enough storage space, kind of the size of a hotel room. And I liked that the windows opened. By the way, I did fill out the evaluation and asked from a call from the cruise line. I received a call from Paul who said we should have been given a "gluten free menu", and he's sorry about all of the other problems. He hopes we travel with them again. There was nothing in that response that leads me to think that the next experience would be any better.

Not What Was Promised

American Spirit Cruise Review by Matriarch Travelor

• Sail Date: August 2014
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Cabin AA
No crib for my grandson, even though it was promised multiple times.

Matriarch Travelor’s Full Rating Summary