3. Celebrity Eclipse
This was my 3rd Celebrity cruise and about my 20th cruise on any line. It was also my 8th cruise traveling with a large, positively focused spiritual group. My first cruise with the group was a Celebrity Cruise in Alaska and the absolute highlight of the trip was dancing every night. The intervening cruises were on other lines but I was really looking forward to being back on Celebrity and dancing for hours in the Sky Lounge. Unfortunately it seemed the ship had no idea of the energy level of positively focused people. There were about 450 of us. We attempted to find dancing venues where we could dance and enjoy ourselves (and use the fun form of exercise to work off the food consumption) but found the venues were either designed for the young crowd that wants techno music or the very old who want slow ballroom dancing most of the time. We were quite excited one night when the Sky Lounge advertised Motown but disappointed to find it was mostly a show with a brief period of dancing following. I've cruised with this group eight times. I know how much fun it can be to dance until the wee hours with them. We booked their Sydney/Fuji group cruise for next year and I am still considering booking an upcoming one to the Caribbean in March (both on Celebrity) but really hope they actually plan dancing opportunities for the crowd. On the 1st Celebrity Cruise with this group in Alaska '09, they had a band in the Sky Lounge that did stop early but after that they provided a DJ that kept us rocking until the wee hours. On Holland cruises with this group there was a venue with a DJ that went until about 2 and they allowed us to hook up an iPod and continue dancing after the DJ went to bed. The Sky Lounge is the best dancing venue on the ship. The one near the dining room felt closed in and cramped. Beyond the dancing, we were very pleased with the cruise. Our cabin came with a Butler and Glen was wonderful--he made our morning breakfasts on the deck and our afternoon teas very special and gladly provided any services we requested. We had dinner in the Tuscan Grille three times and were very pleased with it. We had dinner once in Murano but changed our 2nd reservation there to Tuscan Grille. We had chateaubriand and the chateaubriand offered in the Moonlight Sonata with no upcharge the next night was better. The aspect we least cared for in Murano was that we wanted to enjoy one another's company during dinner and they made such a presentation of the food that it kept interrupting the flow of conversation. Perhaps a couple with nothing to say to one another would enjoy it more? I do not have a need to watch a waitress cut my chateaubriand and find conversation far more interesting. Some friends loved Murano so to each his or her own but it was not what we wanted. We ate in Moonlight Sonata the nights we did not dine in a speciality restaurant and found the food to be fine and service was nice. The ship was beautiful and clean. Our cabin spacious. We actually had two large drawers and several shelves in the closet that we did not need to use. Staff were friendly and helpful. We prefer to do our own thing in port so we did not book any excursions. Except for the lack of a place where we could dance for long periods of time we found the cruise to be very nice. We were not the only ones who were disappointed with the dancing. The first two nights of the cruise we had a group moving from venue to venue attempting to find good music for dancing and we finally gave up opting for conversation and drinks in Ensemble. We arranged all our own transportation and used Smithsforairports.com from Heathrow to our pre-cruise hotel. We were very pleased with this service as well as the early check-in the Meon Valley Marriott provided upon our arrival from an overnight flight. That may be because we are at their highest reward point level so I'm not sure if they will do that for all guests who arrive mid-morning. We were in the aft of the ship on level 12. I love the aft view. Neither of us have motion sickness.

Disappointed with dancing opportunities but all else was good

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Joyful-Lady

• Sail Date: September 2014
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Sky Suite
Beyond the dancing, we were very pleased with the cruise.
Joyful-Lady’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Sky Suite
Cabin S1 2150
We loved our cabin, we had more than enough space to stow the contents of four large suitcases and two carry-ons. The best part was our butler, Glen. We wanted to take him home with us but he said he had to finish his contract. I suspect he frequently receives offers to go home with guests.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins