• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Mick@Stroud
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Sep 2014
Cabin:

First, just to be accurate, the site doesn't allow selection of our cruise, which was Portugal, Spain and Morocco, and it doesn't allow selection of our embarkation port, Avonmouth. Please also note that I couldn't select two of our ports of call, so I've chosen anything from the list given.

Anyone thinking of embarking at Avonmouth should bear in mind that if you're heading east or south you've got a heck of a long way to go before you actually get going anywhere. Down the whole length of the Bristol Channel, then the whole length of the English Channel. Of course, if like me you like just sailing along, then it's no problem.

This was Discovery's last cruise before heading off to the breaker's yard or whatever fate is in store for it, which is a shame, because as far as I could see, it was in marginally better shape than Marco Polo, which we'd sailed on twice before.

Cabin Deck 5

Spacious, very clean.

Port Reviews

Lisbon

We arrived in Lisbon on day 3, and I was both pleased and disappointed with the city. It looks picturesque, but when you start walking around it, the streets are filthy and unsanitary. On the other hand, if you choose a decent cafe ('A Muralha' in our case) you'll have superb tapas. And there are some super views up the hill not too far from the ship, where it is possible to buy a sangria for 1.50 Euros. Good duty-free shopping at the port. We avoided going to the castle, which would have cost the two of us the same as our excellent lunch.

Find a Discovery Cruise