• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

boris007
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Sep 2014
Cabin: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Having travelled with RCI several times before we thought we knew the standard we would be getting - how wrong we were. Gone are the frills and little 'extras' that made RCI different and hello to budget airline service standard for a high price. No free Orange Juice at lunch, now an 'extra' to be paid for!

Main Dinning

We went to the main dinning to eat on the first night. We had chosen the 2nd sitting as the alternative 1830, was way too early for us, even though 2100 was a little late. Our table was located in the poorest spot imaginable, in a corner next to the kitchen entrance and next to a 'plate' station as far away from the entrance as possible which was strange as the room was by no means full and there were empty tables all around. The noise was terrific and every so often there was the sound of breaking plates to add to the general din. The table was for 6 but only 4 people were there, as was the table nearest to us. The aircon was set too high and all there mentioned it but it made no difference.The staff were nice and I did feel a little sorry for them as they were fighting a losing battle as the food was poor both in choice and standard. We decided after day 1 that the Windjammer was the better option for the evening meal.

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin D1

I read that the ship had recently undergone a refit, if that is so then they must have missed the cabin we were in as the draw fronts were falling off, the mirror in the bathroom was peeling and the cabinets had screws bursting through the sides.There was a distinct smell from the drains in there and every so often the water refused to go down in the sink. The shower was one of the smallest I have ever seen and I was glad that I never dropped the soap as I would have had to open the door to give enough room to bend to pick it up. The balcony looked like it had been missed in any upgrade and the chairs (3) were all odd ones, with one falling apart with paint flaking off it. We had been in the cabin for 5 minutes when the attendant came to introduce himself and to ask if there was anything missing, when I asked how would I know he smiled and left. On the good side there were plenty of hangers.

Port Reviews

Kotor

Great place to walk about with a very pretty walled 'old town'. It can be seen in no more than a couple of hours but if the weather is good then a very pleasant visit.

Split

Never got to see it as the captain decided that it was too windy to tender passengers ashore. He did consider it good enough to sit just outside the port for a few hours while entertaining us with such fascinating items as napkin folding and giving a lengthy but not believed explanation as to why the wind had curtailed the visit.

Dubrovnik

As we had not visited Split we arrived early in Dubrovnik in the evening. As the PA system didn't work in the cabins very few people found out that we could have visited the town for the evening which was a great disappointment.A greater disappointment was the visit to the old town the following day. We were told that it was a beautiful town, like Kotor but nicer with a walled inner town and some very nice churches. This may have been true but on a Saturday morning with 2 other cruise ships in port and what seemed like half of Italy visiting, the narrow streets were solid with a never ending wall of humanity shuffling along. It reminded me of a football match where the crowd is leaving at the end of the game. There were queues to get into the town, to go up the steps to the top of the walls and to get out - no a pleasant atmosphere.The port area was a different matter with wide areas to walk in, good views, a few good stalls and shops and no crowds.Note what day the ship docks.

Find a Serenade of the Seas Cruise from $240