Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by jmss1950

• Sail Date: Sep 2014
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

DH and I are in our 60s, retired, and live in East Texas about three hours drive north of Galveston. We have sailed with Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean cruise lines before, both out of Florida ports, Bayport, Houston and Galveston. We drove to Galveston on the Saturday and stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites on Sea Wall Blvd. Nice hotel with good location, breakfast and great price. On Sunday we drove to the port, dropped off our luggage and then left the car at EZ Cruise Parking who drove us back to the terminal. Fast and efficient. We arrived early, waited in line outside [in the shade] for a short while and were through security and seated with sea pass in hand waiting to board all within 45 minutes.

We had My Time Dining and I had booked a table for 2 every evening at 5:30pm and we had the same table by the window every evening. Our wait staff were Agnelo and Sachin who were great - no complaints about service at all. For the most part the food was good in both the dining room and Windjammer. We had the occasional snack in the Promenade Café and the sandwiches were very good. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants on this cruise. We found that almost all of the staff onboard were friendly and helpful.

As this was my 38th cruise and DH's 36th cruise and we had visited all of the ports many times previously, we stayed on the ship and took advantage of the peace and quiet on port days.

Entertainment and activities is where we felt that this cruise was lacking. Okay, so as an retired teacher of theatre I may be a little more picky than some people, but I always go to all the shows and the production shows were without a doubt the worst I have ever experienced on any cruise. Thank goodness for the ice show which we saw twice and Scott Record the impressionist, both of which were excellent. Also compared to our last RCCL cruise on Mariner of the Seas [also out of Galveston], there were very few activities which we could enjoy. I enjoy scrapbooking and on Mariner the classes were great, but on this cruise the class was very short and relegated to a room where the staff was busy setting up for a shore excursion talk and our crew director staff person wandered off to set up her bingo activity. We also enjoy ballroom dance classes, but despite having a professional ballroom couple onboard, there were only two ballroom dance classes and one of them was during a lunchtime. While flow rider, rock climbing, and ice skating may be great activities, not all ages can cope with them and bingo and the casino are not our things. Perhaps we have been spoiled by some of the other cruise lines which offer far more activities for a greater variety of ages. However, we came on this cruise to relax and as the weather was fantastic and the sea as calm as we have ever experienced, we spent most of our time sitting reading on the balcony, and I finished off 18 for the 20 books I brought with me.

Debarkation was easy and painless. As Crown and Anchor members, we waited in the Star Lounge and from the time we left the lounge, went through customs, until we were in our vehicle driving home, was less than an hour. No problems at all.

Overall, we enjoyed the cruise, but I think we are ready for another cruise out of Florida on a different line for a change.

jmss1950's Full Rating Summary

Junior Suite
Cabin JS 1650

We had a junior suite on deck 10 and it was very spacious with plenty of room to move around, a large walk in closet, and a wonderfully deep bath tub in the bathroom. Our steward was Raymond and he was extremely efficient and helpful. The only room complaint was how hard the bed was even with an extra egg crate added. The balcony was large enough for a table, two chairs, and a recliner. Great for sitting out reading and relaxing.

jmss1950