Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by smog

• Sail Date: Sep 2014
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Promenade Stateroom

Embarkation was quick, but the traffic to the terminal was very heavy, plan for delays in Galveston. It has been seven years since we sailed with RCL. We thought we would give them another try, we were still disappointed, we usually cruise on Norwegian or Carnival. Our cabin was clean and our steward Juliette was the best, we had one of the promenade cabins which was a nice roomy cabin, but the storage was less than adequate, we had anytime dining and quality of the food in the dining room was not as good as Norwegian or Carnival. The lobster was good on elegant night, as were the steaks but the desserts were nothing to get excited about. The buffet food was decent, seemd like it was rehashed leftovers from the main dining area with some fresh veg and fruit selections, the individual stations were very good with a selection of good breakfast items. For those of you who are gluten intolerant or celiac there was gluten free breads at the breakfast bread stations but not at night.

Mitch Merucci is the best cruise director I have ever seen in all my 14 + cruises.

The staff were very friendly, accommodating and when I lost my one and only Credit card and informed the front desk, security was able to locate it quickly, emergency averted in Cozumel. The wine bar was decent as was the pub, but there was not a sports bar or a theater for movie watching. The entertainment was quality, ice skaters and musicians were excellent, the Motown show was unbelievably good, but the comics were pretty terrible. I think we will go back to Carnival, princess or Norwegian cruise lines, which treat their return customers better, a robe for every guest, chocolates at bedtime, free drinks for return cruisers and a lounge for their club members who have been on many cruises with them in addition to upgrades and VIP treatment that can't be beat.

smog's Full Rating Summary

Promenade Stateroom
Cabin PR 7311

This was a good room at the far end of the promenade rooms by the library. It was far enough away from the middle of the promenade that getting to bed before 11 was not a problem with noise from the activities and music on the fifth floor were a distance away. It was a great room when you needed to get to the buffet as the elevators were around the corner from our room and we arrived at the entrance to the buffet. For the price, I would take this room in a heartbeat. I did research on the room locations and found other cruise critic members were in the same types of rooms away from the middle of the ship. Disembarkation was terrible, it took over 2.5 hours to get through security, be prepared to wait!

Cozumel

Well, I was not aware that the international pier is 3.5 miles from shopping. I convinced my husband to walk! Which we did in under an hour. The man in the information booth on the way offered us two free drink tickets for Margaritaville and a map of Cozumel, which we took them up on. One thing to note is that the conversion rate for the dollar is 13 pesos to one dollar when we were there, I ordered salsa and the bill just for salsa was $8.95! Food is not cheap there! We stopped along the way at a scuba shop for my husband who was looking for a few things as he dives, and there were benches along the way for a quick stop. It was hot, the shops are an additional 1/2 mile into town, so be prepared to walk a lot or just take a taxi for $8 plus a tip! I got to get my morning exercise and shop, which is what I wanted to do as I have been there to Cozumel many, many times and also hit a local store, pharmacy and window shopped at a store similar to Walmart to look for a few things which were native. I am bilingual, which helps all the way around. I was able to negotiate down by 20 % on most purchases or more.

Beach

Pirate beach. Transportation with a pirate, includes beach chair, punch, swimming, snacks, bathroom, waitperson service and it was grand for an imexpensive day at the beach. Great at 25 bucks!

Altun Ha

About an hour and 15 mins thru the city with a narrative on what the city has to offer. Then off to Altun ha, it is the rainforest so, expect humidity, Mosquitos, and of course rain. I think the ruins are fabulous. I have Been to other Mayan sites, but this is the oldest site I have ever been to! It is worth the trip and the tour guides are informative and very sweet girls. There was a Mayan market there where they sold plantain chips, water, handmade Mayan things, there were bathrooms, I bought several beautiful bowls and a few other items. Worth the trip.

View All 187 Altun Ha Reviews