3. Explorer of the Seas
This is the third time we have been on the Explorer of the Seas. As many folks know this ship will be out of service soon, to be refurbished and updated, etc. It is very obvious that it is in need of this reno. The ship left/returned to Bayonne, NJ. Yes, it's a disgusting/old place, but really, who cares? We weren't there long enough to really care. With that said, the staff are wonderful, our cabin attendant was very good; we had the same 2 wait-staff whenever we ate (My time dining). They were very attentive. These are my basic complaints about this ship - the bathrobes and the linens are worn & frayed; NO excuse for this. Still too much smoking! Sorry I was never a smoker, so I cannot be very objective. Once when we were embarking from a port, there was a man sitting outside (where you have to board/show sea pass), smoking a cigar! It was nauseating! Also, the casino - too much smoke, even in the no-smoking section. There was even a man smoking (another) cigar in the casino & this is NOT allowed at all. The 'demographics' for the cruise were approximately 60+. There weren't a ton of activities, but for us they were about fine. I enjoyed the art lectures & auctions, history/port lectures, meeting new people. I don't think there were more than a dozen children on the entire ship. The entertainment was very good - the stage shows were wonderful as were the entertainers. As for the food - well, all I can say is that things have changed over the years quite a bit. The portions are much smaller (although you can get seconds, etc.). Honestly, my bread/rolls were my favorite. Some of the entrees were not bad. Just as well; we didn't gain any weight on this trip. In summary, it was a lovely cruise - the ports are wonderful - Portland, Me., Bar Harbor, Me., St. John, N.B.(Canada), Halifax, N.S (Canada) and Boston, Ma. Who could ask for anything more (and we had perfect weather).

Lovely Itinerary

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by SuzieQ1944

SuzieQ1944’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

The only 'negative' thing I can say is we weren't entitled to the concierge room (we are Diamond level). This is a very nice-sized room, definitely much larger than the balconies we have had in the past. The bed was a king size, a larger bathroom with a TUB! There is also a very large walk-in closet with plenty of storage space.
  Explorer of the Seas Deck Plans