3. Costa Fortuna
This year we picked a cruise in the western Mediterranean from Savona (Italy, near Genova), to Malaga, Casablanca, Cadiz, Lisbon, Valencia, Barcelona and back to Savona. We were a party of five, two couples and me as a solo traveller. To get to Savona we booked the bus transfer from Munich which took about 9 hours during the night and was very comfortable and less exhausting than I expected. Check-in was quick and well organized but a bit later than expected. The service on board was sometimes very good (restaurant, room), sometimes rather bad (bar service). I was travelling without a partner, but with family and friends. It seemed like I was fair game to several Costa employees. On the first night my phone rang at 11:30 p.m. Someone who knew my first name said I looked sexy and he wanted to see me in private. I told him that I found this quite inapppropriate and hung up. The next day he called again. I asked for his name and he said he wouldn't tell as he feared I would report it. I told him I knew who he was (I had an idea) and I wanted him to stop bothering me. Then it was "quiet" for a few days. Another night I was asked by several waiters separately to meet in a private place. One of them stared at me the whole time during dinner. One told me he would be coming to my cabin at midnight. The other one said he'd call me. I said no again. I was not encouraging them in any way, I was with my parents and friends. I really dislike doing that but at that point I started threating to report them. Well, that was not so cool. For some solo travellers this might be what they are looking for. Not for everyone. Back to the cruise itself: the animation and music was loud and fast and everywhere. There was one bar with life music that actually made it possilbe to talk while enjoying a drink. At night they had a "piano bar" in the club restaurant but no drinks were served there. I loved the classical to modern piano music, but without anything to drink it's not so great either. I didn't take part in any of the pool games, but the dancing lessons looked fun. We spent most of the time on the aft pool on deck 9 where it was quieter. The restaurant was huge but we had a nice table near the aft windows with great views and it wasn't too loud either. We had the first sitting at 6:30 p.m. which wasn't perfect for me as I like to watch the ship leaving port and the sunset. The food was awesome however. Modern italian cuisine, served in beautiful arrangements. I enjoyed every meal. I bought the boys and girls drinks package and a water package, both very good deals if you are ok with non-alcoholic drinks. The fresh squeezed orange juice kept me alive and the cocktails without alcohol were included, too. I only saw one show at the theater: the flamenco show. It was very professional, beautiful and as everything else really loud. We also went to a presentation about the ship. Technical data, personnel, departments etc. Very interesting, we got a lot of information in a very entertaining way. The 10 days were over in what felt like a few hours. Disembarkation was quick and easy and when we left the ship there was a delegation waving goodbye. Not so great was the search for our Costa-organized bus back to Munich, Germany. We couldn't find the bus or anyone who knew anything about it. Later a fellow traveller who had found the bus by accident informed us where it was parked. The bus trip itself was a bit weird, too, e.g. At the gas station the drivers told us we couldn't get off the bus while they sat next to the petrol pump smoking their cigarettes. All things considered we had a good time and we saw great places. Not everything went well, but everything that mattered was fine and most problems could be solved. In my opinion Costa is not the perfect Cruise Line, but for the price they offer a lot and something for everyone. I would definitely book with them again. Ports of Call: Malaga (Spain): we took the Costa shuttle bus which cost about 7 Euros and took us to the city center. We ended up on a bus tour of 20 minutes inside the port area before they let us out at a spot we had passed after about 5 minutes of driving. The city center was only a short walk away and it's a very romantic, touristy place with lots of shops and tapas bars. Some of the bars offer very cheap arrangements, like 4 tapas for 10 Euros etc., but in our opinion it's worth paying a bit more and getting typical, more work intensive tapas than just olives and ham. We had a great lunch at a pretty wood-furnished place plus free internet. While my fellow travellers took the bus back to the ship I walked through a beautiful park by the sea toward the yacht port. I very much enjoyed browsing the somewhat more sophisticated stores and a drink in one of the modern open air lounges. They have a walkway covered with white sails and spraying cold water from above. There's also a little blue train (one of those open trains you'd find in amusement parks also) that takes you to the ships for 3 Euros. Unfortunately I didn't have time to make it to the beach which looked very beautiful from afar. Definitely a good place for a first good impression of Spain. Casablanca (Morocco): Our plan was to visit the Hassan II mosque, have lunch at Rick's Cafe and go to the souk for some souvenir shopping. No taxi or anyone without a Costa card was allowed to come closer than 500 m to the ship for security purposes, so we walked to the gate where a huge group of taxi drivers waited. They virtually jumped at us as soon as we came closer. The only thing they want to sell is full sightseeing tours for horrendous prices (25 Euros per person for 5 people). We told them we needed a ride to the mosque and they started cursing at us. So we started walking and one of the drivers came to us, saying he would take us to the mosque for 5 Euros. Still too much as we learned later but it sounded fair. He had a huge old mercedes in which all 5 of us fit in. After a short ride he tried to talk us into the sightseeing tour and kicked us out as we didn't want to go for it. He said we'd never make it to the mosque or the restaurant which - he told us - was on the other side of the city. A few minutes later we found the restaurant by accident, only about 500 m from the mosque. The Hassan II mosque is very impressive and has a peaceful atmosphere. We did only see it from the outside as going in is only possible in groups and we didn't have enough time. It was still a powerful experience. We found another taxi. The driver was fun and friendly and didn't want money for the short ride from the mosque to the restaurant. He seemed to just enjoy talking to us. Rick's Cafe is a replication done of the cafe in the the classic movie "Casablanca", done in painstaking detail and owned by an american lady. The ambience was breathtaking, the food delicious and we had 3 waiters to our own. For those who really want to experience the classy moroccan 40s this place is a must. On the first floor the movie is running in infinite loop. After lunch we decided to walk through the medina towards the souk. It was a somewhat unpleasant and uncomfortable walk in a very dirty part of the city, with people staring at us. The souk (market) is basically one street with lots of clothes and a few stands aimed at tourists. The shop owners seemed quite uninterested. At the end of the day we found a nice little bar near the port with a comfy lounge area before we went back to the ship. This city is not a tourist place and one can feel that everywhere. Cadiz (Spain): Beautiful city! The port is only a short walk from the inner city, but we took a tour on a hop-on-hop-off-bus, which took us in a circle around the city. Well almost, but part of the street was closed. I started walking around by myself and it was easy to find all the interesting sights. The cathedral was closed but we were allowed to peek in and take some pictures. There are a lot of nice places to discover and the beaches are worth a visit, too. It blew my mind how intense the colors were. I took my time and sat down at one of the squares to listen to a guy playing flamenco guitar. There are a lot of caribbean looking buildings, some painted in bright colors and palmtrees next to very british looking elegant lightposts. I loved Cadiz. Lisbon (Portugal): Very fun jeep tour to Estoril, Cascais, Cabo da Roca and Sintra. The driver was from Sintra and gave us a lot of information. Offroad was a lot of fun as it had rained a lot the days before and that day, too. Cabo da Roca was absolutely breathtaking, not only because of the really beautiful view but also because of the strong wind. For me it was a highlight, no question. The driver showed us eucalyptus and cork trees and stopped several times at the best locations for pictures. The stop in Sintra was a bit short and since it started raining - no, pouring: the street became a river in no time - there was no time to visit any of the amazing palaces. I had planned to go to the Quina la Regaleira, the palace that was built by a freemason and has symbols everywhere. The most amazing thing there must be the initiantion well, an inversely built tower. At the bottom you have to make a choice to get out. I will definitely come back to Sintra. I didn't see much of Lisbon, but I had a great day. Valencia (Spain): We only had one afternoon in Valencia. We took the Costa shuttle bus to the city center. The port is way too far to walk. Valencia is a big city with a beautiful old city center. In the cathedral which is built in several different architectural styles the holy grail is on display. Fact is, the chalice is about 2000 years old, which makes it interesting to see in any case. The city is beautiful with a lot of small plazas to discover. I didn't see most of them though as I met with some friends to go do a game called "The X-Door". It's a detective game. They lock you (a group of 2-5 people) in a room for 60 minutes and you have to try to escape by finding clues and solving riddles. We made it in 49 minutes with one hint by the owner who watched us on video all the time. No worries, there's an escape button in case someone panics. It's a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone who is getting tired of sighseeing. Don't try to walk there though. Take a taxi. It's far. Barcelona (Spain): In Barcelona we only had a few hours from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., we just took the shuttle bus to the port exit, then the subway straight to the Sagrada Familia Cathedral. I had bough the tickets online in advance and we hat the time slot 9:45-10:00 to go in without waiting. Buy a ticket there and wait up to 2 hours to get in. The cathedral is breathtaking. Gaudi, the art, the light, the music. Inside they show a film with the building plans up to 2026, when it's supposed to be finished. The cathedral is a must see. On the way back we crossed the Les Rambles, a broad street with a huge market. Unfortunately we had no time to browse the stalls.

Enjoyable cruise with a few minor flaws

Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by cruise-kitty

Check-in was quick and well organized but a bit later than expected.
Ports of Call:
Malaga (Spain):
Definitely a good place for a first good impression of Spain.
Casablanca (Morocco):
Cadiz (Spain):
Lisbon (Portugal):
Valencia (Spain):
Barcelona (Spain):
cruise-kitty’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Fortuna price drops

I had a mid-ship premium balcony stateroom on Lisbona-Deck (Deck 6), the other cabins were more front standard balcony staterooms on the same deck. The cabin was clean and in pleasant colors. The ship was built in 2003 and of course one can see that in the furniture: scratches, missing paint etc. The balcony door was quite dirty but someone fixed that right after I mentioned it. The balcony was spaceous enough for two comfy lounge chairs and a table. The bed was perfect, no backaches (and I'm prone to that) and it was placed right next to the windows which made it possible to feel the breeze at night. The balcony door closes by itself so one needs to keep it open with a chair. The bathroom is big enough and well laid out. There was enough storage space though we brought extra hangers and we could well use them. It's time for the tv to be replaced. A flatscreen would save space and maybe the one could actually read the technical data displayed on one of the ship's channels. There's tv-programmes for several languages including italian, english, german and french plus several channels for security, on-board shows, excursions etc.The cabin was cleaned several times a day. I was a bit sad that no towel animals showed up in my cabin, but in our other two cabins they were found several times. Even though the Lisboa deck is right above the grand bar that had music till 01:30 a.m., I didn't hear anything in my cabin.
  Costa Fortuna Deck Plans