3. Grandeur of the Seas
This was the smallest ship I have ever been on in 4 cruises. Not necessarily a bad thing but I like more choices and more to explore. The good thing about the size is that we had a big wedding party (it was my sister's wedding on the ship) and it was very easy to locate people from our party. There are also ample amounts of public phones around the ship so we could call around to everyone's stateroom if we needed to get a hold of anyone. I cruised Freedom of the Seas back in May 2008 so this review will be comparative to my experience on that ship. Food: For some reason RC must have had some big problems with sickness on the ship because EVERYWHERE you went where there was food they basically forced you to use Purell from their dispensers. The dining in the main dining room (Great Gatsby) was good. Just good. Not great. Escargot was basically garlic and butter soup with pieces of snail in it. They have a decent menu, nothing was too appealing. They offer some great dishes for extra $$. The wait staff was excellent and friendly, aside from a mix up on the first night where they had split up the wedding party into two separate parts of the dining room when we had asked to be all seated in the same area. After my sister (the bride) threatened to unveil Bridezilla to them they fixed the issue that evening and we received an notice of table change the next day. Windjammer Cafe was mediocre, about Golden Corral standards. Not nearly as good as Freedom's buffet but better than food on Carnival cruises I have been on. Breakfast syrup was disgusting. The scrambled "eggs" were powdered (unless you go boiled eggs) and OK and so was the bacon. We decided to stick to the main dining room for lunch and dinner after the first day. Room service was same quality of Windjammer. We had room service delivered to the stateroom every morning, which is a nice feature, but the food was mediocre. Childcare Don't cruise with a child under 3 or a child that is not potty trained on Royal Caribbean if you can help it. Wait a few years or find someone to watch your child while you are away. There is nothing for them to do except babysitting for 6/8 dollars depending on the time of day. Anyone with a diaper may not use the pool facilities. There is no splash area on Grandeur. That being said everyone LOVED our son and most of the staff was calling him by name the 2nd day. The people in Royal Babies and Tots are wonderful and he was well taken care of when mommy and daddy needed some alone time. We usually dropped him off for just a few hours a day (2-3). The full day we were in Bermuda we dropped him off for the entire day just after breakfast. He enjoyed it. I just don't like the fact that we had to pay normal price for a 2 year old when there are no free activities for him and then had to pay daycare fees on top of that. My nieces and nephews LOVED Adventure Ocean (they were ages 5 through 11). Pools Average seawater pools. There's one small main pool and one small adult only pool (solarium). I was bummed that they closed the solarium pool so early at night. My wife and I went by at 9 after dropping off our son for some alone time in the quiet adult pool but it was drained for cleaning. Entertainment I wanted to do more physical activities other than the gym. Rock climbing was great and the attendants are very fun to talk to. Fitness Center was PACKED in the morning. Freedom had treadmills that faced the sea at the front of the ship right in front of the windows. The fitness center had limited window visibility. No Flow Rider on Grandeur. There were a number of dancing shows and live music, not really my cup of tea. I think I heard "No Woman No Cry" about 50 times. I used to love Bob Marley before this cruise. Overall I think the ship was too small for my liking. I will cruise RC again, but I will try Freedom Class, Oasis Class, or Quantum Class probably.

Might be good for first time cruisers

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by mvanella

Overall
mvanella’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Cabin was great except for one thing which I will get to near the end.The Good:This was my 4th cruise and our second interior room. Great room for the money. Since I am rarely in the room it didn't make sense to shell out the $ for the window or balcony room. Plus my wife and child both like it pitch black in the room when they sleep so they made it easy. We had a 2 year old and we asked for a pack n play. When we booked the cruise they said they would have a PNP ready when we boarded but we had to ask our attendant for it when we boarded the first evening. It was set up when we got back from dinner that evening. The PNP fit nicely behind the small couch in the room. There was enough room for all of our stuff and some room under the bed. We had 2 full adult suitcases, I had 2 suits, and we had a small kids suitcase and some other carry ons but we found room for all of it. Room service was prompt. The TV has more channels than our last cruise, but no interactive menu for ordering movies like other cruises we have been on. Overall the room was good and had a nice layout.The bad AND the ugly:We had a lingering sewage smell coming from the drains and sink in our bathroom. Toilet flushed fine so we couldn't figure out what was going on. After 2 days it got so bad we couldn't stand being in the bathroom without holding our breath. I called the attendant and he cleaned down into the pipes while we were away. This drastically reduced the smell but did not eliminate it. It still lingered the rest of the cruise. I think there must have been something wrong with the plumbing.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans

• Baltimore
    Embarkation and disembarkation(?) was VERY FAST. We were on the ship in 15 minutes and off the ship in 10.I am not a fan of Baltimore in general because of the crime but it's within driving distance of my house. The day we boarded was the 200th anniversary of the writing of the National Anthem at Fort McHenry (visible from deck 9/10) so we got a free Blue Angels air show. They buzzed the boat a few times.
    View All 350 Baltimore Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Baltimore Cruise Port Review
  • Bermuda Triangle Cruise
    This was great. The hosts were funny and helpful. They answered questions and told us a lot of information while we drove out to the wreck site. They give you a float noodle to use when snorkeling so you can bring children who know how to swim but they won't get too tired. The shipwrecks were cool, water was about 30 feet deep or so but so clear you could see right down to the bottom with no problem. You can see a number of species of fish. Coral reef colors are limited in Bermuda because of the water temperature changes during the winter, only a few of the lest colorful and more hardy species are around.
    View All 38 Bermuda Triangle Cruise Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    We went to Snorkel Park, just outside of the dock area. This place was very easy to access and offers decent snorkeling just a few meters from the beach. We saw about 15 species of fish and some squid. Coral reef colors are limited in Bermuda because of the water temperature changes during the winter, only a few of the lest colorful and more hardy species are around. Snorkel/fin rental for the day was $20 per person which isn't too bad. Much cheaper than booking a snorkel excursion through the cruise line, plus it's right near the boat so you can do that on a half day if you want.
    View All 105 Snorkeling Reviews