3. Celebrity Silhouette
We have done one cruise before, a 3 night one to the Bahamas in 1998. Things have changed a bit since then. The Silhouette is all that other cruisers have said in previous reviews. We had great service and a great trip. Amongst the best for service was our butler, housekeeping team, guest relations and concierge. We needed a bit of help before we sailed with trying to get something through Italian Customs in time to sail. In spite of the concierge's best efforts, we were not successful. She worked very hard for us. We also had issues with an air con leak in our cabin. After the 4th day of it, we asked to speak to someone in management. The Assistant Guest Services Manager we dealt with was excellent We had one of the Sky Suites and loved it. Having a balcony and extra room in the cabin was great for a 12 night cruise. We were under the buffet floor though and I was woken every day by the noise of some sort of wheeled cart going back and forth. The food was a disappointment to us. We expected a Las Vegas style buffet and were disappointed to find it more like a mall food court. Sometimes the food was dreadful, including a burnt spaghetti bolognese sauce. We only ate once in the main dining room and the food was nice. We didn't eat at all in the specialty restaurants. We checked all the menus each day but I have very specific food needs and for the most part the dining options didn't cover them. We did bring food back to the ship from our shore visits and I ended up mostly eating that. Because we were up early, we were asleep early and couldn't stay awake for the shows in the evening. I had more than one experience with the spa. On separate occasions I had a manicure and a pedicure. The nail tech was excellent. I also had a massage and couldn't wait to get out of the place. The massage therapist spent a lot of time trying to sell me other services and products. It wasn't at all relaxing. We did a few of the ship's shore excursions. One of them was fabulous - the trip to Bologna. The tour guide was great on the way there and we had a wonderful time wandering round. We bought quite a lot of food from the market there and it was all divine. I wonder though, whether the cruise company audits the companies it contracts to provide the excursions though. We were disappointed by the guides in both Koper and Sicily. We cancelled a few of the trips we had booked and changed some too, once we'd been to Bologna and Koper. As we'd been to the Amalfi coast previously, we made an arrangement to go with a private tour I arranged. We travelled with Charming Italy tours. They provided a car and driver/guide to fit with our wish to have lunch in Positano. The car was in top notch condition, the driver was knowledgeable but not pushy. He asked us if we would like a recommendation for lunch and the food at the place he took us to was exquisite. I'd happily book with them again and heartily recommend them. Disembarkation was smooth until we got out to the place where everyone was meeting their transfer drivers. That was chaotic and not a little unsafe with cars driving in and around people. I'd had to change our transfer time several times as we kept getting different information about disembarkation times. Our travel agent initially told us that disembarkation was at the docking time of 5 am. So we arranged the transfer for that time. Then when I did the online check in, it said 11 am. So I booked to fit with that. Then on the ship, the disembarkation form listed the last time off as 9.30 am, so I rebooked to fit with that. All in all, it was a good way to see a lot of places in a short time while not packing and unpacking all the time. Then we could decide which places we'd like to go back to for longer. I think we've decided we are not group booking type people for shore excursions though.

Great way to see a lot in a short time

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by princess52

princess52’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Sky Suite
Cabin S2 2123
Comfortable and a good size with a great balcony. We had air conditioning leaks for 4 days though that took the shine off our holiday.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins