3. Safari Explorer
Un-Cruise Safari Explorer..July 2014 Alaska  I have had the good fortune to have taken hundreds of pleasure trips in my life. I have taken trips that range from cruising with the Regent Line, to going down the Colorado on a raft and sleeping in tents, as well as skiing at numerous upscale resorts. I’ve have hiked New Zealand and also biked with Backroads, helicopter hiked with Tauck in the Canadian Rockies and have had many more exciting and varied travel experiences, but my Un-Cruise adventure on the Safari Explorer was the worst trip I have ever taken and the least value for the money spent. Discoverer’s Glacier Country was sold as a luxury trip. My expectations of luxury aboard an exploration ship were not the same as they would be on a large cruise ship, but I found nothing luxurious about this experience. The cabin interior was unimaginative and colorless, the duvet lumpy, the towels might have been larger, fluffier and more abundant. There was nothing in the space that could not have been upgraded. We were requested to use each towel for as many days as possible, which I did, but I was a single in a cabin. Had there been two of us it would have been far from luxurious to shower and dry my hair with a single bath towel. Food portions were small but that was okay as we spent half the day doing nothing while the ship was in motion. Food flavor is a matter of individual taste but the presentation on a luxury experience should be lovely and professional appearing. Dinner looked as though I had plated it myself....in a hurry. The lectures were nearly non existent, dull and certainly the speakers could not compare to the educators on other exploration ships. I must add that two members of the crew were outright rude to me, without any provocation and with no reaction from me. On the positive side, this line attracted well traveled, outgoing, interesting and friendly passengers. The only luxury item on this trip was the inclusion of wine and liquor. To really be impressed by Un-Cruise one would have to be drunk.

Unpleasant Un-Cruise