3. Carnival Fantasy
I had broken my ankle and was bored at home. My husband suggested that we drive down to Charleston to go on a cruise. We thought it was a great idea at the time because all of our cooking, cleaning, and entertainment needs would be taken care of. I would like to say that I enjoyed the cruise and knew I would have my limitations, being in a wheelchair. What I liked: friendly crew; happy, friendly people on board; some of the food (hit or miss, some good and some not so good); beautiful ocean view from our cabin; ocean sunsets; fun and lively atmosphere; shows in the evening ) our favorite was Punchliner; the beautiful Bahamas; service (for example, I asked for a shower bench and was promptly provided with one); my pleasant dining room experience. What I disliked (and this pertains to handicapped people): You have to walk UP a HUGE step to get into the bathroom. Nobody told me this regular room was like this. Get a handicapped room if you have difficulty getting up and down steps! I never dreamed of asking if I would have to climb up to go to the bathroom. My poor husband had to lift me up to the bathroom when we were in our cabin. When we went to the public restrooms on board, the handicapped toilets were SO low that I had to have my husband lift me up. (How do they expect you to get up???) Debarkation was extremely slow for wheelchair people. One person at a time. We waited an hour. We had our own wheelchair, and after bugging the guys a bunch of times, they finally just told us to go to the elevator and go. Getting on and off of the ship is a nightmare. The gangway starts out as a small ramp, but then, oh, then, you have to push up a steep hill to get to the dock. Once you've gotten up the steep hill, you go down again. I asked the male crew member who was standing there to pull while my husband pushed. Really, Carnival, is this the best you can do to get people in wheelchairs off of the ship????

A great time for non-handicapped people; a challenge for handicapped

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Karoleigh

• Sail Date: August 2014
  • Destination: Bahamas
Karoleigh’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Fantasy price drops

Cabin M101
Bad choice of rooms for person on crutches and wheelchair! Choose a room that doesn't have a step!
  Carnival Fantasy Deck Plans

• Freeport
    Small town. Not a lot to do right off of the ship, which is what we limited ourselves to. There was a straw market with exorbitantly priced items ($15 for a Bahamas pot holder, for example). We bought ice-cold Cokes in cans for a dollar each and sat down by the water in the shade and enjoyed ourselves. Next to us was a wi-fi hotspot where a group of people sat to use the Internet.
    View All 1,352 Freeport Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Freeport Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    Crowded streets, for sure. After all, there were three huge cruise ships there, and it was like ants heading to the picnic. We walked around one or two city blocks looking at stores. We ended up at a beautiful plaza where we saw police in traditional Bahamian uniforms. The town was clean and well kept. When I can walk again, I'd love to return to Nassau.
    View All 5,965 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews