Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review
1,939 Reviews

Family of 4, first time on Celebrity: 2 Thumbs Up!

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by KonnieKonnie

• Sail Date: Aug 2014
  • Destination: Greece

Our family of 4 (kids 12 and 10) went on this one week cruise to Greece (round trip out of Venice). The cruise followed 2 weeks travel on our own. We were well ready for some relaxation. Celebrity did not disappoint.

Embarkation was quite smooth. We had only a short wait for our number to be called so that we could join the queue. Perhaps a 15 minute wait and then a few more minutes to get through security. Then a longer line to actually get on the ship. In all it was under an hour.

Our cabin (7191) was large and has 2 separate beds for our kids. We did not need all the storage in the room (mind you we packed light as we were dragging our luggage all over Europe). The bathroom was large and had more storage than we knew what to do with (even with 4 people). The balcony was nice - accommodated 2 chairs and table and we brought out the chair from the desk inside as well. Very little sound through the walls. However, because the door is close to our neighbour you do hear that. Also, as with most ships you hear when people run down the hallways. The beds were amazing. Our cabin steward was nice and accommodating. Absolutely, the best cabin I have had on any cruise.

The best part of being on deck 7 is the "Hideaway": a public room with lots of chairs and coffee and tea provided all day (though somewhat annoyingly, when one relies on it, coffee was late 2 days). This was a nice place to hang out, read or get away from the rest of the family. I would highly recommend deck 7 for this reason.

The food was amazing, both in the main dining room, Grande Curvee and the buffet, Oceanview Café. Really, the best we have ever had. The Grande Curvee had half the menu the same every day and half changed. It wasn't extensive, but we never had a problem choosing a dish. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. The service was good, except on formal nights when it was much busier. I was surprised how quiet the dining room was on other nights. We did not eat at the other restaurants because of the price. At $45 or $50 per head, it is prohibitive. This is really my only negative for the cruise. I don't mind a $10 or $20 fee, but $50 is too rich and it meant a less variety with our meals. On our 7 day cruise it was fine, but on a longer cruise than that, I would want a few more options. The Oceanview Café had a good variety of good quality food. My kids were in heaven. They have Indian, Mexican, pasta, pizza, paninis/sandwhiches, salad bar, stir fry, several hot stations, dessert bar and, crucially to my kids, ice cream with toppings. (they charge to the gelato in the coffee bar, but in the OC it's free!). Breakfasts were also excellent with many choices. We were really impressed with the quality. We never had trouble finding a table.

We chose this cruise for the itinerary (we are fairly loyal to NCL). We wanted to see Greece, including Athens. We did not get off the ship at Kotor, Montenegro as it was a fairly long tender ride and frankly, we were exhausted from our 2 week trip. We loved Santorini. We pre-booked a boat trip to Oia with return by bus (with Santorini Planet) and we were glad we did. EXTREMELY long longs for the cable car up the mountain. Two ships (and a third after us) on the same day. Athens was lovely, we booked a private half day tour (privategreecetours.com). Our guide, Alex, was excellent in knowledge and provided a memorable tour of Athens. In Katakalon we also had a private tour (katakolotaxi.gr) and went to Old Olympia and up a mountain for a nice view from a Monastery. This was fine and the tour guide was good, but there is just not as much to see at this port.

We saw 3 shows in the Silhouette Theatre. The dancers and singers in particular we excellent. The house band "Soul" which played at different venues, were hot and cold for me. One time the singing was so loud and frankly not good, I left the pool. Other times they were quite enjoyable.

We spent a fair amount of time at the pool. It never got too crowded although chairs were sometimes a little scarce in the sun. We didn't see the towels being removed very much from chair by the pool butlers. Many people leave more than a towel (shirt, book, bag) and that used up a lot of chairs. Still we always found a place.

I know others have commented on the 'upselling' and 'cross selling'. I did not think it was too much more than NCL. I did tire of the junk mail delivered every day with the next day's schedule (2, 3 of 4 things) in addition to 'invitations' to jewellery sales or art auctions.

Overall, a very memorable trip and I recommend the Celebrity Silhouette.

KonnieKonnie's Full Rating Summary

Beautiful and spacious cabin. Shower was lovely. Separate beds for our kids. Beds were perfectly comfortable. Noise was minimal except door noise from our adjacent neighbour.

KonnieKonnie