3. Trollfjord
We are just home from a trip to Norway which featured a fjord cruise on the Trollfjord. My parents took a fjord cruise 35 years ago and raved about the incredible scenery; once again, my mother was right. My parents also commented on the less that wonderful food; I am starting to think that my mother was never wrong! The ship is very nice and run by a very able and efficient crew. The public areas were lovely and well appointed. Embarcation was simple and efficient. We had purchased a mini suite, cabin 691, as we wanted a view from our room. I did not do enough research before booking and discovered that the two windows, one in the sitting area and the other in the bedroom looked out onto a walkway. We quickly discovered that the view was two-way; it became apparent that unless we did not mind people looking in on us, we would not have a view from the cabin. We upgraded to a larger suite, 818, which was lovely and offered a "bump out window" with two comfortable chairs. We spent hours marveling at the incredible scenery. This larger suite had a safe in it which I appreciated; the mini suite did not. There was a shower and a tub and a large walk in closet. A curtain separated the sitting area which had a couch, table, two chairs, and a desk from the sleeping area. The storage was more than adequate and the bed was very comfortable. I was surprised that the towels were both threadbare and in some cases ragged. My husband used the exercise area but had to wait one day as all of the equipment was being used by the crew. There were no towels or water available in the exercise area which suprised me but may just be a European custom. The cost of the original cabin and the upgrade came to $13,500 which is pretty stiff for a six night cruise. I blame myself for not doing a better job of researching; our travel agent did not help us at all with this or with anything else for that matter. We traveled with another couple who had booked an outside cabin; they upgraded also and had the suite across the hall. We explored several towns on our own and took the excursion to see the Sammi. We enjoyed all of these trips and felt that we got to know something of the country other than Bergen and Oslo. We are not fans of huge cruise liners and looked forward to this smaller ship. We have taken four or five river cruises which we loved and expected this to be comparable. We got the coffee and wine packages and thought they were worthwhile. The staff was all very helpful and efficient but I would not describe them as particularly friendly with the exception of two of our waiters, one Greek and the other Swedish, who were a delight. We tipped them at the end of the trip but did not feel we needed to tip the other staff. I used the laundry area; you buy tokens at the customer service desk. Figuring out the directions was an adventure even with the translations. We do not cuise to eat but do enjoy good food; I love to cook and collect cookbooks from the coutries that we visit. My husband is Italian and food matters to him as well. The food on the Trollfjord was a great disappointment for me. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style as were the first and last dinners on board. The food was plentiful but with the exception of the outstanding desserts, it was not good. Perhaps Norweigian food is not to our taste but we had excellent meals in both Bergen and Oslo before and after the cruise. The menu both set and bufffet leaned heavily toward fish and the sauces tended to be cream based. One day we were excited to find lasagna on the buffet but it was swimming in fat and poorly seasoned. Again, I may be just too fussy. Although there was a piano and a dance floor, there was no entertainment. The bartender told us that the cruise line found it too expensive to provide entertainment. Perhaps the fact that the passengers are generally older factors into this. We had read about entertainment on board but that may vary with the season. Overall it was worthwhile for the amazing scenery but I would warn anyone to be smarter about cabin selection and the food.

Magnificent scenery and poor food

Trollfjord Cruise Review by emcc

emcc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Trollfjord price drops

Cabin 691/818
We had purchased a mini suite, cabin 691, as we wanted a view from our room. I did not do enough research before booking and discovered that the two windows, one in the sitting area and the other in the bedroom looked out onto a walkway. We quickly discovered that the view was two-way; it became apparent that unless we did not mind people looking in on us, we would not have a view from the cabin. We upgraded to a larger suite, 818, which was lovely and offered a "bump out window" with two comfortable chairs. We spent hours marveling at the incredible scenery. This larger suite had a safe in it which I appreciated; the mini suite did not. There was a shower and a tub and a large walk in closet. A curtain separated the sitting area which had a couch, table, two chairs, and a desk from the sleeping area. The storage was more than adequate and the bed was very comfortable. I was surprised that the towels were both threadbare and in some cases ragged. My husband used the exercise area but had to wait one day as all of the equipment was being used by the crew. There were no towels or water available in the exercise area which suprised me but may just be a European custom. The cost of the original cabin and the upgrade came to $13,500 which is pretty stiff for a six night cruise. I blame myself for not doing a better job of researching; our travel agent, Vacations to Go, did not help us at all with this or with anything else for that matter. We traveled with another couple who had booked an outside cabin; they upgraded also and had the suite across the hall.