• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Aug 2014
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Cruise Critic was so helpful in my planning of this two-week trip, that I felt it only right to return the favor with a very detailed review of our 13-day Authentic Alaska Cruisetour on the NCL Sun.

Background on the Trip and Us

We are a family of four, including a 16-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl, from New York City. We sailed on the Breakaway last year and had such a good time, we booked this trip within a week of our return. I have been to Anchorage twice on business and had done day trips to Seward, Girdwood, Portage and other close places, but had never been to Southeast Alaska nor the interior. This was a once in a lifetime bucket trip - possibly one of the last as a family before the kids decided they'd rather backpack through Europe than vacation with Mom and Dad, so I wanted to make sure it would be special.

• Totally understand now why people love the suite life and, in particular, this cabin. It is huge, has an awesome balcony, a dressing area and large Jacuzzi tub in the huge bathroom (separate from the shower), and lots of outlets. There is also a DVD player with surround sound in the living room, and a list of recent releases available to borrow.• We ended up using our butler Randy much less than we expected (evening snacks were always delivered and in abundance, and we asked for movies twice which were delivered promptly and with popcorn), and using our concierge Patrick much more than we expected. It was very nice to be able to consult with him on dining options, and then have him make the reservation. We always got premium seating in the restaurants, and wonder if that was Patrick’s doing. He also anticipated our needs, including rescheduling a back of the house tour that the Food & Beverage manager offered us because he knew it conflicted with peak viewing times in Glacier Bay.• La Cucina for breakfast and lunch was one of the absolute best features of suite life. Only my wife and I as the suite guests were eligible, but the kids were always sleeping for breakfast and preferred the buffet anyway. To have a nice, elegant breakfast in a quiet venue with great service was so much appreciated. And French press coffee to boot. We only had lunch there twice, but again – far from the crowds of the rest of the ship, and a great menu. Once when we had an early excursion and again on disembarkation day we ordered room service breakfast, which in the suites includes hot items. We ordered for four people and had the kids join us – no problem at all.• I am an early riser, and it was so easy to let my wife sleep in the bedroom while I stepped out onto the huge aft balcony from the living room (there is also a door from the bedroom) to catch the awesome sunrises. The kids also spent most of the time they would have spent in their cabin when they weren’t asleep, in our cabin and on the balcony which comes with two loungers, two chairs, a table, and room for triple that.• The Sun is the only ship that does not have Lavazza espresso machines in their suites, due I think to the very short depth of the countertop. The four-cup Mr. Coffee-style machine is a poor substitute, but was fine for heating up hot water for the tea I drink in the morning.• The kids’ inside cabin was a nice size for a small inside. It was larger than the inside we had on the QM2.• Warning – you definitely feel the thrusters to the point that they wake you up. However, as they are only used when docking or disembarking, they only woke us up twice, and once was when the ship was moving into the channel to enter Glacier Bay which was a good thing – otherwise I would have slept through that part of the cruise which, as it was shortly after sunrise, was quite pretty.• We discovered the specialness of an aft balcony on the Breakaway, and are so happy we went with it again on the Sun.

3 Helpful Votes